The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

remove floppy controller

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by oldsalt
  • Latest reply from Budohorseman
  • Topic Viewed 3145 times

oldsalt

I am running windows 98 and upon startup before I ever get to windows 98 my computer stops and lets me
know that my floppy is not working.I hit F1 to continue but would like to bypass this nuisance.I disconnected
the flat gray cable going to the floppy but it still stops. what do I need to due to bypass this hangup.
I dont use my floppy anymore.......

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

You will need to go into your BIOS (typically something like DEL as your computer is POSTing) and disable your floppy drive there (and take it out of the boot menu as well).

Posted 5 years ago

oldsalt

I went into BIOS and saw where you have to disable the floppy drive but not knowing how to disable it I was afraid
to do anything that might get me into trouble.Can some one step me thru it please and also how to remove it from the boot menu.
OLDSALT

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Well every BIOS is different so you will have to tell us what you see, but chances are for the floppy disk controller your only options will be Enable or Disable. After that you can just save your change and exit out of BIOS. If it gives you any problems you can just get back into the BIOS and undo your change.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!