How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Remove all traces of original owner

(11 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by warlock
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 804 times

warlock
warlock

Not an emergency, don't have the computer yet. It is an HP dv 6000 laptop running Windows Vista. Have no disks, only complaint is when downloading pictures from the internet shows computer owners name now/old computers name in documents. Anal retentive and the new owner doesn't want that. Wouldn't bother me personally. Nothing on the computer needs to be saved except the operating system. They said they are shown as the computer owner but, old owner still shows up in documents. What should I do?

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Control Panel --- System ----scroll down to Computer/domain name and select Change Settings ---- Change.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Ideally, clean re-install.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

ronniesonora

warlock, might try here http://tips4pc.com/computer_ti.....regist.htm

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@GS, that was done new name shows. It is in registry somewhere.

@LH, thats what I think too. But, no disks so rather than go through the ISO. etc. any registry edit I can make you are the resident registry guru.

Edit: @ronnie will look into that, you posted while I was posting.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

LH is right. In that case, a reinstall (e.g. from the recovery partition) is the way to go. You can also download a Vista .iso from here and activate it with the key on the COA sticker.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Okay thanks for the expert help. When I get the machine probably after work tomorrow, will see exactly what I have to work with. Will update when I can.

Posted 1 year ago

Hermitt
Hermitt

You can use this guide to create the "Vista Universal Install disc". ;)

Jim

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

Had a chance to look at the computer today. Was very little installed on it as far a files, no programs that were installed that did not come with it originally. After talking with the owner she decided that she didn't care if anything she had put on it was saved, just wanted previous owners name gone from everything. Rather than search through the registry followed advise here and did a reinstall from the Recovery Manager. All went well, new registered owner and a happy friend.

Thanks,
Joe

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Tis always the best way :)

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

You are right, just was skepticle using install from Recovery Manager.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!