The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Remove Administrative Security Shield Icon Overlay

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by soda
  • Latest reply from KidMoses
  • Topic Viewed 29238 times

soda

I know that it's possible to remove the 'Shortcut arrow' icon overlay in Windows Vista using the FrameworkX Utility (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....ows-vista/) but I am interested in removing or altering the Administrative Security Shield icon overlay.

In case I've not described it properly, I am talking about the overbearing multi-colour shield image that appears over the icon of any application that requires administrative access to run properly. As a little background, I have a few applications on my desktop that need administrative access to run properly. I made some nice new icons for them using the GIMP, but the security shield is rather obtrusive, and tends to domineer my icons. I don't mind the UAC prompts (in fact I prefer having them), but the icon itself is driving me crazy! ;)

I know that one of the Microangelo tools is able to do this, but are there any freeware tools that provide the same feature? Is there a registry hack that will also do the same? Thanks in advance for any help; I appreciate it. :)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

I think the icon in question is within a .dll.
If so, then it is possible to change it.
Which .dll!!!

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I used Process Monitor and the dll that program updates for the shortcut icon. I then looked at the same file in IconsExtract and found a shield icon.
The dll is C:\Windows\System32\imageres.dll
So a program that could replace that shield icon with a blank one in that dll might work.
There could be a registry entry for it too. Though I have no idea what.
Microsoft makes it hard to customize things like this in Windows for UI Constancy.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks jd for the tip on IconsExtract, wish I'd had it months ago.
Bitmap Extractor is also handy

Posted 6 years ago

soda

I found a round-about solution to this problem, without having to modify any DLL files. It's also cool, because it lets you pick and choose which icons you want un-shielded. The major drawback is that it takes a little more time to set up each icon, and you'll need to download a power-tool.

You'll need to download the Script Powertools from Microsoft at http://technet.microsoft.com/e.....62321.aspx which contains a cool Command Line application called 'elevate' (just right-click and 'install' the 'elevatecommand.inf' file). I made a simple batch file, like this:

@echo off
C:
cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Application\"
elevate Application.exe

Now, just point your shortcut to that batch file, and make sure that the 'Run as Administrator' option isn't ticked. For cleanliness' sake, you might like to also make sure that the application runs minimized, which should keep the Command Prompt window out the way, and the real application or game should run properly (be it windowed or full-screen).

Posted 6 years ago

KidMoses

I have found a way to get rid of the security sheild overlay on all my programs, but it requires a resource editor to do so. If you are familiar with using a resource editor, you have to load the .exe file into the editor and look at the Version strings. Look for anything that might be interpreted as needing administrative privileges. Look at the Comments field, the FileDescription field, the InternalName and ProductName fields. Look for words that could be interpreted as to change something about the system, ie: tweak, recovery, update, setup, install, etc. If Vista sees any of these words, it will put the overlay on the icon. Simply edit these words out of the Version table in the resources.

If this doesn't do the trick, you can look at the Vista manifest using the resource editor. Perhaps changing the <requestedExecutionLevel> field from asAdministrator to asInvoker will work.

Hope this helps. It's worked for me.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!