Remote desktop questions/issues

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by InDiSent
  • Latest reply from InDiSent
  • Topic Viewed 2603 times

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hey Guys,

I have yet another issue. When i remote desktop into any of the other PCs in my home network, some things are missing. In the system tray the Symantec Corporate antivirus icon does not show up even though it is running. Also, when i go into the display properties; under the screen saver tab the power button is missing so i can't change any of the power config. For example, i can't go in and tell it to do nothing when i close the lid. I can do it if i log into the laptop remotely, but not via remote desktop. Also, i can't right click a file and choose scan for viruses. I'm sure their are many other things i can't, but those are the two that come to mind right now. I am logging into the other machines as myself and i am an Admin. Any thoughts?

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

*EDIT*

I meant i can get to the power config if i log into the laptop locally. Sorry.

Anyone have any ideas?

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

I may be wrong, so someone please correct me if I am. But I am not entirley sure that you can edit power configurations from different computers.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Hmmm, I think you're right. I wonder why the SAV icon doesn't show up either though and why you can't right click a file to choose scan for virus. I also use Ulta VNC, that allows you to do anything just as if you were sitting in fornt of the machine. I was just hoping to use the remote desktop instead so that i could have one less app installed.

Posted 6 years ago

bamsan
bamsan

Why don't you try 3rd party software. I'll suggest timbuktu pro.

http://www.netopia.com/software/products/tb2/

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

That would be good. Sorry if you already mentioned this InDiSent, but why do you wish to modify power options? No worries - just curious. =).

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

I was remoting into my laptop from my desktop one day and wanted to close the lid of the laptop. My wifes cat came walking into the office and i didn't want her jumping on the keyboard. I just as easily turned my chair around and did it at the laptop locally, but it would have been nice to just do it from the remote window. That really isn't the issue, just one that i noticed. My biggest issue is not being able to right click a file and choose scan for virus. Alot of times i will be at work and remote into my desktop at home. I would then download a file or something and want to scan it before running it. Also, i have a few computers here in the house and some of them do not have monitors attached. I only remote into them. It would be nice to be able to do anything i wanted during the remote session just as if i were logged into it locally. I downloaded tight VNC last night, i am going to try that today. I'll take a look at timbuktu also. I was just hoping remote desktop could do what i wanted since it is already part of XP and i wouldn't have to install anything if i was using someone else's pc. Thanks guys.

Posted 6 years ago

michael
michael

Hope it works. =) Let us know please.

--
Mike

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

Well,

I've been using tight VNC for the last few days and it seems ok. I used to use Ulra VNC also. I like Ultra VNC better, but Tight VNC seems to be a little faster.

Posted 6 years ago

InDiSent
InDiSent

OK, i found one solution. When using remote desktop if you are not using the welcome screen the shutdown option is not there when you right click on the task bar and choose task manager. However, if you are using the welcome screen; right click on the taskbar and choose task manager and teh shutdown option WILL be there. Does anyone know if you can get the shutdown option there without having to use the welcome screen? I like to use the three finger salute to log in to my PCs. Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.