How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Reinstalling Windows XP on a Dell machine with no CD - have product key though

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by bassdude66
  • Latest reply from Lighthouse
  • Topic Viewed 856 times

bassdude66

Hello all,

This is my first post in the HTG forums! Glad to be here........I have a PC at home that is getting sluggish to the point that I believe it needs a reinstall of Windows. It has XP Pro on it now. I have the Windows sticker on the side of the unit that has the product key for Windows, but I don't have the CD to reinstall from. I've heard of using the WINNT32.EXE program, and I've heard about the Dell Recovery option. Are there any other options for a reinstall? Thanks for all replies!

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Borrow a disk of the appropriate version from a friend or local computer club.

Posted 1 year ago

bassdude66

Are the versions manufacturer-specific? I have two PCs at home that have XP Pro on them.......one whose Windows sticker says "OEM" under the product key (custom-built machine by local PC dealer) and the DELL, which says "DELL" under the key. I do have a borrowed version but I'm not sure I can use the same one for both machines.....

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Are any SP3 ?

Posted 1 year ago

bassdude66

I don't know offhand. Does that make a difference? I know the CD I have is SP3.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

What version was installed before ? And is that the SP3 one ?

Posted 1 year ago

bassdude66

I know that both PCs are currently XP Pro, I do not know if either or both are at SP3. I do know for a fact that the CD I have is for SP3. And I know I can use the CD I have for the "OEM" machine (the one that has OEM on the Win XP label), I just don't know if I can also use it for the DELL machine.....does this make sense?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You should be able to use it on both machines.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.