The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

reinstalling OS (no reinstallation media included with laptop); system image

(4 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by nharp0386
  • Latest reply from presence1960
  • Topic Viewed 631 times

nharp0386

I just got a new Windows 8 HP laptop, which did not come with any reinstallation media (drivers, OS, software, etc.). The drivers are available on the HP site, but the OS obviously isn't. What's the best way to make sure I can reinstall Windows 8 if my HDD were to crash (or if I just wanted to wipe my drive and perform a clean install)? I'm assuming it would involve the "Create a System Repair Disc" or "Recovery Drive" features (which seem like the same thing to me...). Also, what's the best way to create a backup system image that I can restore if I have to reinstall Windows? There are apparently multiple ways to do this in Windows 8 (elevated command prompt, Windows Backup, and Windows 7 File Recovery).

Thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

If you have an HP machine you most likely have a recovery partition on your hard disk which will restore your computer to the state in which it left the factory. Refer to your documentation for which key or keys to strike when booting to start the recovery process. I would back up any files before doing so no matter what, even if your recovery process has an option to save existing files. Whenever doing an installation or partitioning operation it is best to have a backup of your data. Don't be the one crying you lost your files! If you want to make an image to keep on a second hard disk from which you can restore that image I recommend Clonezilla or PING. If you are not versed in partitioning you may be better off with Redo Back Up which in my opinion is a bit simpler. I prefer Clonezilla myself. You can google each of these, as I suggest you read and familiarize yourself with how to make an image with each one.

Posted 1 year ago

nharp0386

Thanks. I am relatively experienced in partitioning. I have had DriveImage XML suggested to me before, but I thought I could create a system image just as well in newer versions of Windows (7 and 8). I prefer to use built-in utilities whenever possible. Will creating Windows 8 recovery media and a system image via the built-in utilities allow me to reinstall Windows 8 on a clean HDD? If so, can I use the recovery media to restore an image created via any of the 3 built-in methods (elevated command prompt, Windows Backup, and Windows 7 File Recovery), or would I need to use a specific one or ones?

If I get a totally new HDD (meaning Push Button Reset is initially unavailable and I don't have a recovery partition), how can I restore the PC to how it was when it left the factory (where it runs through the initial Windows 8 setup when it is first booted up, but with the drivers already installed, etc.)? Would the way to do this be to use one of the built-in features to create a system image, then after switching HDDs, boot with Windows 8 recovery media, restore that image, and run Push Button Reset to revert everything to the factory defaults?

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Sorry, I am not too sure about the windows built in Utlities allowing you to restore the image on a clean HDD. I would think so, but like I said I am not too sure so don't listen to me on that. I have hardly ever used Windows built in utilities to make an image. I always use Clonezilla or PING.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.