How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

(Solved) - reinstall windows 7 after Windows 8 beta

(23 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Tombaugh
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 14278 times

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

I wanted to test drive Windows 8 Customer Preview for a research project for my A+ class, but with school, school and more school it was too hard to get used to a new OS and do assignments and teach. I asked my instructor what to do and she said reinstall Windows 7 which I did. Now I boot to my recovery partition. I'm nervous to do to much because I don't want to lose the info and files I have in C:

On my load screen I have
Windows 7 Home Premium (RECOVERY)[in a small partition that was supposed to be for recovery],
Windows 7 Home Premium[which does not run in safe mode or normally because it's not a genuine copy it says], and
Windows 8 which will not run at all.

I can boot into the RECOVERY partition in both save mode and normally. I can't use the MiniTool Partition Wizard program that I got. When I try to load it from a boot able CD I go through steps 1-4 but at the install, step 4 I get: Windows cannot find 'P:\Users\username\Downloads\pwpe7.exe' make sure you types the name correctly, and then try again. I think that is says it installed but it doesn't really because it's 10mb and there is 0 space in this partition left.

I don't want to do a clean install of Windows 7 because I'm not sure what I will never get back. I am backed up to carbonite but all my passwords are in Windows 7 and Norton 360. I don't have my license numbers for programs because they were saved in my Incredimail email folders.

I am an old dog learning new tricks and I just feel like this is fix able, I'm just not sure how. I don't have any Geeky friends to bounce ideas off of. My computer has been messed up for over a week now and I'm getting stressed out.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I've been all over the net but I like here the best so I decided to ASK here before asking elsewhere.

LT.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Tombaugh, hi and welcome.

You need to backup your data now.
Not sure how your HD is configured but I assume you tried to dual boot?

Is this correct?

I would, without question reinstall. Waste of time trying to correct problems.

In addition, for crying out loud get rid of incredimail, the most destructive ad and malware app known!

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

I did not dual boot. I guess that was a mistake but, I'm new to all of this.

IF I just clean reinstall I'll lose all the passwords saved, licences and key codes? I've never done a reinstall, wiped out everything and replaced it.

I'm difficult because I really believe that this is fixable. It's not a virus it's just a mess between one OS instal. and another. Am I wrong? I think it's just a matter of manually putting things back where they should be. I thought the partition tool would help, but it won't run...YET. I'm still thinking I can get this to work ,but how much time will I use up?

If you can help me understand how to put things back once I reinstall I'm on board but if I will loose things I need I just don't want to rebuild everything from scratch. I have tried to get into carbonite but with out my password I can't even do that.

PS. I love incredimail, it's never caused me a lick of trouble and I delete everything off of it that I don't use. I'm girly that way, I love a pretty GUI. What other all in one email programs are there? Outlook is ugly.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

How about this for an idea? Simply install windows 7 on the partition Windows 8 was on. do not disturb the old Windows 7 partition. Then boot into it. You should be able to read the data from the old windows 7 partition into the new one. Once you have saved and recovered all the information you need. Back it up and then wipe the disk and Install Windows 7 on the complete drive.

You do not know the damage that Incredimail is doing to the system. I just worked on a computer that was running out of disk space because the hidden Incredimail files were taking up 30GB of space. I had to manually delete them, in order not to disturb other important data and it took me 3 hours. They add toolbars and other add-ons and home pages that slow down computers severely. My definite suspicion would be that Incredimail caused your problem in the first place. I know lots of folks swear by it because it is so very cute and cuddly with those ever so cute smileys, but truly it is a disaster.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

OK, HOW do I install on a specific partition? That would be great!

Incredimail - I kill all the search buddies, home page, shortcuts, that come with every update. As soon as I update I do my search and distroy (me, manually because I know what they stick in their updates.) *sniff*, *pout* I'll let it go... I do love pretty though.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

The installation procedure should allow you to choose the partition you want to install to. You may have to click to an Advanced mode. I'm not sure, but I know it can be done. Depending on how you wiped Windows 8 you might have to format the partition it was on to do it. Just don't wipe your windows 7 partition. You should get lots of options saying do you really, really, want to do this.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Thanks I'll be back in a while and let you know how this goes.

bye Incredimail...

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Hope it's not to late but if you delete Incerdimail before you get all your passwords. Just my observation

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

Dreammail is a nice alternative for your email.
If memory serves me right it also has a set of inbuild emoticons.

And did you know you can make your own eml templates to use in most email programs?
Just create an email with your favorite layout (or a bunch of emails LOL) and instead of sending them you choose 'save to'.
But make sure the output format is 'eml'.
Save them on a USB or something and then in any other program you still have your nice bells and whistles :)
if you want I'll help you later on to create some nice templates and set up a folder with images you regularly use.

But that is for once your have your pc up and running smoothly again - first make sure you backup everything and make sure you get your passwords from incredimail. Xhi will be of more help in that regard than I am ;)

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Sarah,

The eml templates that you speak of first, is that in Dreammail? and second when you say 'layout' do you mean text style or could I create background images that I can then use as the background on my emails?

Xhi,

I reinstalled but I have no network connection. I did use the driver CD and that didn't work. I also used the repair feature on the Windows 7 disk. I said there were start up problems and fixed them but still no network. I know the modem is recognizeable because the Windows 7 Home Premium (RECOVERY) connects to the internet just fine. I am also taking a Network+ 2009 class right now so I'm scouring that for something to help me as well.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

I'm sure all it needs is the driver for the LAN adapter. Get it from the Computer or motherboard manufacturer's web site.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

I got an error 651 when I tried to make the connection to the network. I was reading about this and in exploring for the windowssystem32drivers folder I found two incidents of Windows.old: Windows.old and Windows.old.000. I am deleting one to see if that is the problem first. If this is a bad idea let me know.

Posted 2 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

In every emailprogram I have ever used it was possible to save emails as eml, and if memory serves me right Dreammail supports it too (haven't worked with Dreammail myself, but did some global testing a while back for someone who was also on 7 and looking for something other than windows live mail).

An eml file is a sort of html file but then for email, so you can make changes to the text, to the images etc.
When you use specific fonts however you have to make sure those are fonts the receiver also uses or he won't see it as you intend it.

Here's a template I saved from when I had Dreammail installed. Dreammail has a lot of nice templates by itself and you can easily save new ones you make.
I opened this eml file (made in Dreammail) with Windows Mail. So you see - you can use it anywhere you like :)

Edit: Carol Oyl wrote some instructions and tips on how to create beautiful emails. Maybe a bit more elaborate than what you're looking for, but very informative :)

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Thank you Sarah, I will certainly look into both your concept of eml templates like html and the software Dreammail. This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll surf through your posts for more interesting tidbits you have posted. :)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

You can delete the Windows.old folders if you do not have any files from old installs that you still need to recover.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Well, no luck so far. I can't download the drivers via the RECOVER partition nor from my other computer so far. All firewalls are down on the reinstall until I fix the drivers so I'm trying not to run it much until I learn how to get the network adapter drivers to work.

Suggestions welcome. I went to Dell with my service tag # but I can't get the download to run. (Dell XPS 8100)

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

The Dell download is tricky. Try, try , again.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

I'm still updating but I do have internet and networking again. You were right try, try, again.

I might have more questions for you Xhi when you have time can you peek back here?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi
Xhi

Ill be lurking nearby.

Posted 2 years ago

Tombaugh
Tombaugh

Ok, thinks are getting back to normal but I have 2 physical screens and when I check System Information: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and Control Panel Devices and Printers I have a Generic PnP Monitor. Any ideas on how to fix that? I have and Acer monitor and an HP monitor but the drivers won't load if they are available.

Another thing my fans is running all the time since the reinstallation started a few days ago, is that a symptom of something other than 'clean the fan'? I'll do that tomorrow to see that, that isn't the problem.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!