How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - reinstaled vista nd now have different drive lables

(18 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by rhondas
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 1499 times

rhondas
rhondas

I reienstalle my disk for windows vistahome basic tht came with the comoputer and now drive D OS is gone, and a new drive E was made, with drive C , both of the drives are marked Local and in someof the program properties advanced
only drive C is checked ready for archiving ,
and E local has a low disk probem yet when I clean it with disk clean up it stys the same not much is cleaned out of E disk . what happened see screen shot .

Posted 1 year ago

rhondas
rhondas

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

rhondas hi. Please post an image of the Disk Management window. (Full screen)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Your E partition is most likely the recovery partition. The lettering does not matter. You can always change it to D if you like (in Disk Management).

The fact that E is so full has no impact on it's functioning. It shows red because there is less than 10% of free space. I suspect that this is a HP system. They always cut the recovery partition very small. If you want to check whether there are files on E that do not belong there, open it and have a look.

Posted 1 year ago

rhondas
rhondas

yes I opened and found a lot of duplicats of both drives , like for example they both have common files , and they have both program files but the c drive is checked not archived and the E drive is checked ready for archived? I dont understan it yet? thanks

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

The 'duplicate files' are normal because on E you have a complete system for the recovery option. Do not touch the system files - only any possible user files (files of your own) in case they got there accidently.

And why would you want to archive your system ??

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

It would appear that E is allocated as your recovery partition.

Don't attempt to alter that partition and archiving is not recommended.

You have not posted the screenshot of disk management, different from 'computer'

To get there; Start Orb, right click 'computer', select 'manage', select 'disk management'

Now we will see your drive management. Like so:

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

rhondas
rhondas

heres my indexing management view

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

So where is the problem. I see no problem.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

A bit strange, if E: is the recovery partition, why is it assigned a drive letter and accessible in windows explorer (should be hidden)?. Why the 558 MB unallocated disk space? The 47mb (Eisa), I guess is the diagnostic utility of the manufacturer. @rhondas, can you tell more on how did you go about the reinstallation?

Posted 1 year ago

rhondas
rhondas

To member G41M that partition I made trying to free up some space I do not use it can I get that partion into the other drive E thats needs space because drive E is low on space? thanks for your help but that 558MB unallocated may just be enough to get me out of the Red line. http://i50.tinypic.com/300b0vm.jpg

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

By all means you should make that unallocated space productive. Even though Windows warns you of low disk space (which is normal Windows warning as whs said because its free space < 10% ) and assuming it is the recovery partition, you don't need to add the unallocated space to drive E:. because it is not used by the Windows. More practical is to add it to C: drive (expand) or create another partition so that it can be used... your choice.

Except for losing drive d: are you experiencing any problem with your computer?

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

It's only 558 MB. But you can expand C to use it.

Posted 1 year ago

rhondas
rhondas

I dont have a clue on how t expand the 558 mb to c drive and if I do will it show more free space in drive E?

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Look here. See the "Extend" part below.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you need to bump this to the top, just reply bump instead of starting a new thread.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Just right click on C (in Disk Management) and then on 'Extend".

Adding this little space to E is a lot more complicated. Given your level of PC knowledge I would not recommend you attempt to do that.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

I tried to right click on E drive in disk management , Extend Drive wont work for this E drive its shadowed out yet I tried the same right click on drive C and it does let me extend, how ever I have plenty of space on this C drive , so what should I do next
-- rhondas

The answer to this question is in whs' post above. You can not expand the E: drive, since there is no space beside it on the right.

Actually there is no need for you to mess with this at all. You should not be using the E: drive for anything. It does not matter if it is full!!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!