• Topic Viewed 838 times

user23

Does anyone know of a registry hack that can make windows 7 think
It's running 2000 and will run any programs designed for xp/2000
My work did this so I know it's out there

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compatibility_mode It's not a hack.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Or run XP/2000 in virtual.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I would use a virtual machine as a plan B if compatibility mode (warlocks link) isn't what you are looking for.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

You can MAKE it think it is running as XP or 2000 but thinking and being able to are TWO different things. W7 for instance has NO 16 bit support. Now if this is a 'program' problem, like it CHECKS the OS version and then bails if it isn't, I know MANY programs did this in the past, especially in DOS timeframe, and IF this is the case, you'd be OK. However if it isn't, I wouldn't bother.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

stinger608
stinger608

@user23: you might ask your IT department what they did or used. They may have used some kind of third party application or as stated by hArLtRoN, they used a virtual machine.

@hArLtRoN: trouble with using a virtual machine is if the user needs the current video card. An example of that would be using an XP virtual machine to run older games that will not run properly on Windows 7.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

@Stinger608 that is what a VM is, it is a 'machine' running inside a host. XP would be installed into the VM and ALL drivers with it. One could even place an icon on the desktop to run a specific program, which might be what the OP meant? In this specific case XP includes ALL the code needed to run a 16 bit program, and it goes and uses virtualized h/w 'hooks' to work the h/w.

The reason mainly that older games do not run on W7 or W8 is because they are either older Windows 16 bit or DOS games. Has nothing to do with the h/w.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

user23, if your version of Windows 7 is either Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 7 Professional, and Windows 7 Ultimate, you can also try Windows XP Mode. Read here on how to install and setup.

Posted 1 year ago

drpepper

Maybe DOS Box is what you are looking for to run old games and programs. It is free.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!