The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

reg.exe import

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by crislet
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 4261 times

crislet

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. As administrator I am importing a .reg file by using "reg.exe import" and the registry gets updated but in a few short mins it reverts back to original settings. Have disabled UAC but still the same. Ideas please would be welcome..

Posted 4 years ago

LH

crislet hi. Where are you getting that from ?

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Instead of using REG.EXE, do you get the same results using REGEDIT's File menu pulldown IMPORT? That is the import disappears?

The only thing I can think of is that another program has that hive open and when it closes it gets re-written, without your changes?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

crislet

My job is to automate the win7 installation and configure win7 with multiple settings most of which I have already made the changes to and exported the registry settings I need. I then import these settings onto newly installed workstations. I have been doing such for XP and vista without problems.

Posted 4 years ago

crislet

PS Did not meet to hit the 'Report" ??

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

I figured you were doing something like that, but you still need to know if the problem is in REG.EXE or somewhere else. On a machine you want to alter, try using REGEDIT's import and see if you get the same results? It will help narrow down where the problem might be, in REG.EXE or elsewhere.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

crislet

I have imported via regedit's import function as suggested, the registry will get updated but will revert back to original and the actual settings will not be seen if observed in the folder options gui...

Here is the file:-
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;************************************
; FOLDER OPTIONS: SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FILE EXTENSIONS
;************************************
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
"Hidden"=dword:00000001
"HideFileExt"=dword:00000000

Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Just a thought, not a solution. Can you not set them in HKLM instead. That may override what's happening.

Posted 4 years ago

crislet

will try, just a note this copy of Win7 has still yet to be activated.. should not cause a problem, well I hope it will not ??

Posted 4 years ago

crislet

Do such entry in HKLM

Posted 4 years ago

LH

Not as such. I was thinking of setting the machine defaults.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten

Hmm, not activated? I wonder if the registry has been created fully? However, I'm pretty sure the problem is VIRTUALIZATION... you do not have access to C: or C:\WINDOWS. Yes, you can open REG.EXE and edit the files, but Virtualization stops you from 'saving' anything to those locations as you do not OWN them. Not the VM virtualization, but what Windows does when you open files that try to write to system files, in this case the registry, it gets thrown away.

Take a look at these two links :

http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....-in-vista/
http://www.mydigitallife.info/.....n-regedit/

These are the problem you are having I think? Suspect it would happen in Vista as well?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.