SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

REGEDIT changes - it's messed up everything! HELP!

(2 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Vanessa
  • Latest reply from taybay
  • Topic Viewed 1404 times

Vanessa

So I should know better but I was desperate. For a while my ipod wasn't being recognized and it would say something like "the computer does not recognize... etc" so I googled that and it said that it could be fixed if I deleted something on REGEDIT. Also around this time, my computer was acting really weird and it would take up to 3 to 4 hours for it to fully load up and I would be able to use any programs.

After the change, and also doing a system restore - it changed my system but it started out okay. I could get online and it would load up rather quickly - however I changed that my homepage was really old one - one probably from 2005 or so. I tried to change it by doing so many things... ie - going to tools, internet options... etc but that's not letting me change anything. It won't let me change how many days I want my history to be, the homepage. Also on my start menu - my programs on the left pane are blank and it won't let me put any programs there - ie - outlook, internet explorer, etc.

Also (I know I really f'ed things up) I can't change my background. I've right clicked and tried properties and it won't let me change it.

I've googled it and found people that have had similar issues (about.blank homepage) and the answer being go to REGEDIT and following steps, etc... however when I get to the Internet Explorer folder in the Microsoft folder... it's empty.

I'm not sure what I can do or if there is anything at all I could do. I have a sony vaio tablet pc and I wonder if using my "system recovery CD" would help at all.

I'm desperate for help!!!! I don't care about the files I lose on my computer. Which also in my documents (my pictures, my music, etc) has also dissapeared.

Please please help!

Desperate me :(

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

If you don't care about your files, a format and reinstall will fix up all of that. Your system recovery CD should let you do that.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!