The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

RegClean Pro says I have 1433 Registry errors

(48 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by billy12345
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 17699 times

billy12345

Reading an old thread, came across some thing about comp acting slow, and a "speed test", which led to "RegClean Pro" which said I would see an amazing difference in speed. Never said it was $29.95, though. I did the free scan, and that's what it said, 1433 errors. It "fixed" 15 errors for free. But $29.95 for the full program to fix the rest to really speed up computer performance.

Registry Section - 1033 errors
Com and ActiveX errors - 86
User related errors - 42
Startup and Uninstall errors - 272

I think my comp is slow, can this be the reason? Or is this bogus, just another scam to get some money?

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

billy12345,

Just another scam to get some money !!!!

Are you running FREE Ccleaner and Defraggler ????

They will help. :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

No, I don't have Ccleaner and Deefraggler. This RegClean thing says its a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, all official lookin' stuff.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

billy12345,

I was once a MS Cerfied Partner.

That does NOT mean anything but a Business Relationship.

It's your money, do as you please with it.

If you Must have registry cleaner, I'l post a link for you to a Free one.

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

No, I don't want to pay for it, and I believe what you said previously, that's why I was asking here. They sure can make things look fancy and tempting, like it is the answer to all your problems. I can't really have 1433 errors, can I?

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Trow this thing into the bin - but asap. It is all fake.

Posted 3 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

billy12345,

They are NOT errors but just left over bits and pieces of orphan Registry entries that
normally occur when running Windows.

Even after a Clean Install, there may be 500 to 700 such Registry entries that don't hurt anything and are not used.

I'll post you a link and you can check but don't remove them.

http://www.eusing.com/free_reg.....leaner.htm

Rick P.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

Okay, so much for a quick easy fix to speed up a slow poke computer. Thanks for the info and the heads up on a fancy looking bogus site.

Posted 3 years ago

whs
whs

Billy, there are no quick solutions for a slowpoke system. The best cure is usually a reinstall, more RAM and an SSD. But there are no shortcuts.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

whs, I told you before in another thread how I had doubled my ram from 1GB to 2GB and saw no difference at all. You explained how I could check to find out if the new ram was defective, but the process was complicated (for me). But I really would like to see if I could make it through it, even though I would guess it must be a long shot, it can't be very common to have it be defective, but as I said I had no difference. And I ran one of the memory configurators at the time to make sure I got compatible sticks, I even spoke to them on the phone about the system I had and about them being compatible, etc.

Not much info on "tweaking" XP to get more speed out of it from what I have looked at so far.

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

CCLEANER- http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/

DEFRAGGLER- http://download.cnet.com/Defra.....52905.html

REVO -to remove all trace's (most) of unwanted programs - http://download.cnet.com/Revo-.....ag=mncol;1

mark.

Posted 3 years ago

JohnZoher

The truth is the more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them. The files which makes it run slower and slower. To fix this, you simply need to use a registry cleaner which will work by scanning through the registry and fixing any bad files that are in there. This then allows Windows to read as many files as it wants, when it wants to. That's why registry cleaners are useful. Isn't it obvious?

Posted 3 years ago

marks100
marks100

@ JohnZoher hi, that is true but if you use revo in one of my above links to remove unwanted programs, then ccleaner you will find it will run nice i have all

installed on my desktop Xp pro runs really well and a DEFRAGGLER makes all the difference as it sorts out your system files in order makeing it run faster in Xp .

mark. your statement '' That's why registry cleaners ( we recommend ccleaner) are useful. most give a false sense indication that they are doing the job

you will find they do more harm (slowing) than good.

Posted 3 years ago

JohnZoher

Yeah, I used CCLEANER before but now I prefer PC Tools utilities and SpeedUpmypc from uniblue. Also auslogics boostspeed is very good with even more features. Just my 2 cents.

Posted 3 years ago

Seasider2
Seasider2

Take marks100 s advice. That is software that does the trick, will not mess up your pc and is recommended by many experience people on this site. Any other stuff could cause you more problems.
Make my pc faster software is rarely, if ever, suggested here.

Harry

This is just one review on SpeedUpMyPC. http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews146947.html

Posted 3 years ago

JohnZoher

I used SpeedUpMyPC on one of my old computers. Luckily I haven't installed it on my new pc.

Posted 3 years ago

vistamike
vistamike

Steer well clear of uniblue products, they will certainly cause more problems. Stick to the above as recommended by mark and others.
So called registry cleaners are mostly scams. You will find many topics here regarding reg cleaners

Mike

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

John,

"The truth is the more corrupt registry files your computer has, the more it struggles to read them.", sorry, NOT true...

If anything is CORRUPT in the registry, you are in big trouble.

Usually Registry problems, missing file links, empty keys, and orphaned entries, are about all you'll see in the registry in terms of problem. Missing file links are the most prevalent I'd say. Point to a program or file that doesn't exist. None of these are CORRUPT in the sense the entry can't be read.

Dangerous removals are the non-obvious ones. Those 'empty' keys and missing file links, which can contain other data. Remove some (not all) of these and you can have problems, some a long time later.

Why is the Registry a contributor to slow running and booting? Because it is a LARGE file and depending how accessed it can take time. That is why cleaners tend to offer up some relief in booting and starting some programs, but it isn't really a significant time savings either. Matter of fact, many things removed, such as Most Recently Used (MRU) Lists will be put right back by programs.

If a system is running slow and gets slower over time, it usually can be traced to added start up programs and services, not the growth/bloat of the registry.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

billy12345

As per marks100, think I'll give a shot at running Ccleaner, Defraggler, and Revo, in that order and see how things go...we shall see. Thanks all.

Posted 3 years ago

LH
LH

Run Defraggler last.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!