How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Reformatting Win7

(30 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LeMarsMan
  • Latest reply from LeMarsMan
  • Topic Viewed 1058 times

raphoenix
raphoenix

On the Builder Machines, there is a BIOs Setting to CLEAR THE KEY Information in the UEFI.

Not sure about the OEM machines but I doubt they have that setting capabliity.

That's one reason why it's Better to Build than to buy a large machine.

Don't forget THIS POSTING when everything changes next week.

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

I won't. thanks Rick.

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

I tapped on Warlock's post and now it indicates I reported it. What does that mean? Can I undo it?

I was going to ask how often you folks "image" an operating system?

Sorry.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

GuiltySpark
GuiltySpark

Reporting a post indicates you have a problem with the content, but accidents do happen.

Only Mods can remove them.

When you say image do you mean take an image or re-image a machine, either way I think it depends on the user.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@LeMarsMan, I removed the report no problem mate:)

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

Thanks. I didn't mean the post was bad.

I was going to reformat Win7 and then make clones of the operating system from time to time. I have heard good things about Macrium Reflect and I have Ease US ToDo Home.

How often do you folks that use this type of software backup your operating system if ever?

LM

Posted 1 year ago

warlock
warlock

@LeMarsMan, I know that. Anyway Use Macrium reflect and make an image. http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....crium.html follow this. Read through this too.
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum.....replies=44

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Many of us use SSDs which are 128GB or 256GG so my rule of thumb is image the system before every major change of hardware or software.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

A routine I used to start with was to image a pristine system after a clean install and put that to one side then when there had been sufficient system changes I did another and repeated this until I had 3 consecutive images. On the fourth time I deleted the first image and put the fourth in its place...basically replacing the oldest image of the three with the newest one every time. This gave me three rolling backup images to revert to if necessary. I never keep my data in the c:drive to keep the image size down and it's a lot safer. i use it like System Restore (which is turned off incidentally because I think it's superfluous in this setup) to roll back to a recent configuration if necessary. If I want to start all over again I use the pristine image. You are looking at an image size of about 60% of the original system size at default settings.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

LeMarsMan

Very helpful.

LM

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.