The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Reformat Old Laptop Hard Drive

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mdc
  • Latest reply from mdc
  • Topic Viewed 789 times

mdc

Over the summer I crashed my laptop's hard drive and decided to upgrade to an SSD. I would like to use the old hard drive as external storage, but I can't seem to reformat it. My computer spent 2 weeks doing a long format, and that ended up failing.
Disk Management won't let me delete the partition or volume. I downloaded partition wizard, but that won't even try. I've seen some command prompt commands, but my system doesn't recognize the commands.

When the disk crashed, my computer wouldn't boot at all. It would get to the "Windows Starting" screen, and never get passed it. I couldn't do anything with it with a linux live CD, and I'm unsuccessful with Windows as well.

Anyone have more suggestions? I can answer questions if you have any.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

You should really test the disk. Go to the manufacturer's web site and look for bootable tools. You can download the iso and burn it as an image to CD. Then boot off the CD to run various tests. I hate to say it but you must face the possibility that your disk is toast. It may not be. Example of tools: Seagate has Seatools for DOS.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

mdc

I used the Seagate tool, and it says there are unreadable sectors. The long generic test couldn't fix it. After some searching, I found that the error is a cyclic redundancy check error, which is apparently un-repairable. Too bad, I was hoping to make it my second back-up drive.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

It may still be under warranty. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see. If so you can arrange an RMA right from the website.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Laptop HDDs cannot be exchanged via the HDDs manufacturers' warranty. They have to be RMA'd through the Laptop's warranty.
Unless, of course, that defective hdd was bought seperately from the laptop.

--edit: at least that's how it works in Canada for ASUS, Acer, Fujitsu, Lenovo, MSI, Sony, Toshiba and probably the other manufacturers aswell.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960

Either way if it is under warranty he/she should return it and get a replacement.

Posted 1 year ago

mdc

It came with the laptop, and since the laptop is over 2 years old I believe my warranty has expired. I'll live, I was just hoping to have a secondary backup drive.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.