How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Reduce the size of the Winsxs folder

(14 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Willy2
  • Latest reply from Xhi
  • Topic Viewed 1047 times

Willy2

http://forum.piriform.com/inde.....opic=38170

I hope this hasn't been covered in other topics.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Willy2 hi. My advice is not to mess with it.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

Willy2

Don't worry. I didn't panic. But I agree. One should (at least) think twice before doing anything that can't be reversed.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

Good read here. http://www.winvistaclub.com/f16.html

Posted 1 year ago

Willy2

Interesting !!!

And it provides an interesting link to another way to reduce the size of the (bloated) "Installer" sub-folder.
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/.....e-question

Again: think twice before doing anything that can't be reversed.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Instead of trying to mess with the system by manipulating important files/folder in order to gain some space, how about buying a bigger HDD/SSD.
That's my only advice. Not to you particularly, but to anyone in general.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

That is good advice. The minute you touch winsxs, your system is dead.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse

Not exactly true, but close enough for amateurs.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

Aren't we entertaining mostely 'amateurs' ??

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

@whs, your are are right for the most part. Computers work okay pretty much out of the box. It is the things that people do with it after that. Without the knowledge to do what they want to do. That's where your help comes in.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

The composition of forum members has changed because the manufacturers want the new devices and systems to be as simple as possible to operate with the owners not having to have any background or knowledge in computing or electronics.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Exactly, use it out of the box unless you pay more.

Posted 1 year ago

whs

I did not mean the word 'amateur' to be pejorative. It is just as Rick says. The trend is to ever easier interfaces so that they can sell more. That's all fine and dandy - until something goes wrong. Then those people are completely lost and they either go seek professional help and pay thru the nose, or they come to the forums.

I have seen that in my computer club. 95% of the 800 members have no clue how a computer functions. And if you throw a binary number up on the screen, they regard that as 'advanced'. I was once trying to explain the differences between the decimal, binary and hexadecimal number systems - forget it. All I got was glazy eyes.

Now there is nothing wrong if people do not know things. What I really don't like is if they make absolutely no effort to learn and expect everything spoonfed to them. How often do we post a solution or a part of a solution and when the OP comes back it is obvious that he did not even read our input or links. That's when I give up.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that know binary arithmetic and those who do not.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.