How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Redo Backup and Recovery

(31 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 1382 times

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Has anyone used Redo Backup and Recovery?

It looks like it would work good. I'm thinking about giving it a try.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Download the WinPE .iso for Macrium from my Skydrive. Burn it to CD. It does the same thing - imaging and recovery. And it has never failed.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have your latest .iso on a flashdrive. Does the free version of Macrium do individual file backups? Like just updating changed files?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

This is one I use to image a complete SSD or raid array because it was made with AIK tools.

Use Rufus to make Bootable USB Stick with WinPE.iso for Macrium from whs Skydrive link above.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

Rick do you mean whs's iso in his Skydrive or the one I linked to?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

whs SkyDrive Macrium ISO

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I have his ISO burned to a flashdrive for use :)

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

It does not do individual files - only partitions or whole disks.

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

That's what I thought.

I downloaded the ISO from the link I posted and ran it. It runs off a Linux distro. The Macrium ISO works better for partitions or whole disks.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

Redo works very well. I use Redo to create an image for those for whom I do work and are not familiar with Linux, thus will have a hard time with Clonezilla. I make a bootable CD for them as well as part of my work. Redo has a pretty straight-forward process and makes a nice introduction to imaging for those who never even considered the importance of an image. Now they don't have to pay me if windows messes up for any reason...LOL :)))))

Posted 1 year ago

hArLtRoN
hArLtRoN

I just meant for those that are more familiar with Windows, the Macirum ISO works better (in my opinion).

LOL before I learned a lot of what I now know, my family never imaged.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

There are plenty of software out there to do the same thing no matter what task one wants to accomplish. Picking one is a matter of personal preference. I tried Macrium and it worked just fine. However I prefer Clonezilla. Redo I recommend for users not so savvy with computers, like the old progressive insurance commercial: "it's so easy a caveman can do it." with redo

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

This morning I tried redo just as a project against macrium which I use on all my machines.

Redo is a linux based live cd, so it cannot be used within windows, it needs to be booted from your ODD.

redo took some time to load but every option for backup was available.

I successfully backed up my C partition (200gb), but it took 98 minutes to do this. Because you are doing this 'offline' this is 98 minutes of downtime so for everyday use is extremely time consuming, whereas macrium from within windows takes 20 mins on my 200gb partition and you can continue to work.

So Macrium gets many more stars and using whs's PE recovery link, a restore is so easy.

Basically Macrium beats redo for everyday use because you can invoke from the desktop at any time.

One area where redo may be an advantage is where you 'clean' a new pc of the crapware, install what you want for starters, security, minimal apps, no data stored etc.

Pretty useful for resale in the future perhaps with a default system.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Just about everybody regular on here recommends Macrium by default for a free imaging program. It's good having a consensus on specific apps because it means when someone asks a question about a particular one there will likely be someone online familiar with it and whs has done some tutorials on Seven Forums where he is also a member about it so it's well-covered between here and there.

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

@ SJ. I realize almost everyone here recommends Macrium. I have tried it and it works well. However there are almost always at least a few different ways to accomplish the same task. I can not recommend something I myself do not use. There is no right or wrong way when it comes to software choices. We can all peacefully co-exist. In the end no matter what any of us recommend the OP has to choose what advice to follow. As long as the advice is correct ego should not get in the way. This being mostly a Windows forum I would imagine people are always up to learning new and/or alternate methods that work with windows as long as they are safe.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

presence, remember that many of us backup on a regular basis, sometimes daily ( I do ) and this has not failed yet with macrium.

QUOTE;
'This being mostly a Windows forum I would imagine people are always up to learning new and/or alternate methods that work with windows as long as they are safe.'

It's what works on a daily/weekly backup basis that work everytime round. Some of here do a lot of testing and a restore that works is most important as opposed to system restore when thing might go pear shaped

As you can see above, Macrium seems to be the default environment for the moment.

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky
StringJunky

Absolutely, choice is good but this forum is frequented mostly by noobs and it makes sense to have a uniform single recommendation where possible so they are less likely to be left stranded when they start a process they are likely not yet familiar with. Imaging is a very big thing on here which everyone tries to promote and it makes sense to sing from the same hymn sheet where possible to enable novices as quickly and smoothly as possible. If you look through the hardcore members list of essential apps I bet you'll find a lot of common ground. These areas of commonly recommended apps have evolved through mutually shared experience.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Tony, very good point, a uniform single recommendation where possible.

Imaging is so much more important than it was a few years back

Windows backup was and is still appalling yet I see so many clients getting 'rucked' with this

The shared experience points to Macrium for a general, working, useful and most importantly, a workable recovery option

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

presence1960
presence1960

It is your default environment by choice, not mine. Allow me the same choice that you were able to make. So if I help someone on here image with Clonezilla or Redo that is deemed as wrong because the rest of you don't do it or sing from that hymn sheet. That is simply rubbish.

P.S. I was never much of a follower, a fall into line type of person. That has followed me into the world of tech as well. I am a firm believer of choice for geeks, middle of road users and noobs. Unless a method is unsafe, unreliable or too difficult no one has the right to dictate how to accomplish a task.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

?

Please see my post above

And redo is clonezilla based.

No one said it was wrong......

MY CHOICE IS MACRIUM. so I can image within windows.

What is your problem? No one said otherwise

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.