How-To Geek Forums / Off Topic

Rednecks

(51 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Aleeve
  • Latest reply from Aleeve
  • Topic Viewed 3603 times

whs
whs

Sorry Lighthouse, but I did not know that, given that it being used so frequently.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

whs, not a problem. But I wouldn't advise calling someone from Scotland, Ireland, or Wales, a Brit. You'd likely get a punch on the nose.
Us English are a bit more tolerant. (LH hides under the table at this point)
Edit. and I'm sure you would not like me to refer to you as a Hun or a Kraut.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

I think you are now starting a different discussion. But let's not open that one. But as far as the Scottish and the Welsh go, are they not part of Great Britain? The Irish is different - I guess they are Irish.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

The Scots and the Welsh class themselves as Scottish and Welsh. More so, now that they have their own parliaments.

Edit. Everyone can have a good laugh now, because the English can also be known as Red Necks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.....or_British

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

No, the Red-COATS.
One if by land...

And I'd never be offended by 'Yanks'. Then again, we in the North are proud of our revolutionary heroics ;)

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Read again Scott. The S.African definition (Rooinek)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Yes, Afrikaans. Maybe some rooibos for our rooicoat wearing rooinek at high noon?

Oh, and three if by net.

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

Interesting the Wiki. There are so many alternatives that we can use a different one each day. Maybe you should announce your daily preference.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Looks like Old Dutch wins again :)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Old Dutch=

Not so Old Dutch=

New Oranje Boven Dutch=

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Off the top of my head. New Orange Dutch State ?

Posted 6 years ago

techgranny
techgranny

Wow. Calling all Americans, aren't you glad we're yanks? No confusion regardless of intent:) I'm learning much here!

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

I think I'll stay out of this,on a past thread I had a few too many beers and it got out of hand.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Hey sparky. With your ancestry, I would be interested in your opinion of this. :)

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

I'm no Yank -- I live in the Republic of Texas!

"Mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noonday sun." No wonder they have red necks.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thankyou ScottW, I was sure that calling every American a yank was offensive. But then again, you're a Texan, not an American.
In France we have the French and the Parisiennes (according to the French)

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

sparky, all is forgiven. If you need a group hug, we'll start a new thread.

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Ok Lighthouse you asked for it and I'll be cool.I can't speak for the Welsh,although I'm sure they prefer to be called Welsh. Being raised Scottish/Irish,I can say with certainty to not call either parent a Brit or British.My mom was raised in Glasgow and is a firm believer in home rule.Now my dad is from Leitrim(The West Of Ireland)and he'd probably rip anyones head off if he was called British.Technically,Scotland,England,Wales and Northern Ireland are the British Isles.And I don't mind being called a yank even though I was born in Missouri.

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Thanks for that sparky. I lived in SW Wales for 10 years, and they definitely do not like being called British.
Were you born in the States (if you don't mind me asking)?

Posted 6 years ago

sparky7415
sparky7415

Yes Lighthouse,ST.Louis,Missouri USA.Oh,by the way,I liked your photos.Your work area is as sloppy as mine,now I don't feel so bad.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!