The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Redirecting Files in Windows 7?

(3 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by echolane
  • Latest reply from Shieldwolf2012
  • Topic Viewed 6900 times

echolane

I can't find a way to redirect or retarget Windows files to my data drive where I keep all my data on a mirrored RAID array. Anyone know how to do this? You can retarget (or redirect) an executable file by right clicking its desktop icon and changing the target path. But I can't find a way to do this with folders or files. All the folders in the Library are examples: Documents, music, Video, Pictures. Also Favorites and the Outlook 2003 .pst folder. I would like to redirect them to equivalent folders that reside on my data drive, I actually don't use the Library at all because I have my own equivalent folders/files on my data drive which in addition to being mirrored, I back up regularly also. But Windows assumes I want to use their Libary, so opening something or saving something usually costs me extra clicks to go elsewhere.

I think Windows development teams assume everyone has one disk drive with one partition on their computer................; I've never understood why anyone would want their data files on the same partition as the OS. ..................

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I got this directly from W7's Help and Support.

-------------------------
To redirect a folder to a new location
Click the Start button , and then click your user name.

Right-click the folder that you want to redirect, and then click Properties.

Click the Location tab, and then click Move.

Browse to the location where you want to redirect this folder. You can select another location on this computer, another drive attached to this computer, or another computer on the network. To find a network location, type two backslashes (\\) into the address bar followed by the name of the location where you want to redirect the folder (for example, \\mylaptop), and then press Enter.

Click the folder where you want to store the files, click Select Folder, and then click OK.

In the dialog that appears, click Yes to move all the files to the new location.

To restore a folder to its original location
Click the Start button , and then click your user name.

Right-click the folder that you previously redirected and want to restore to its original location, and then click Properties.

Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click OK.

Click Yes to recreate the original folder, and then click Yes again to move all the files back to the original folder.

Note
If you don't see the Location tab in a folder's Properties dialog, then the folder can't be redirected. If you see the Location tab but can't edit the folder path, then you don't have permission to redirect the folder.
--------------------------

I looked My Favorites and saw the location tab and I assume it will work?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Shieldwolf2012
Shieldwolf2012

Yes I have a seperate data drive as well and have redirected to the data drive and also added the default folders on said drive to the library. big problem I had was if you use some of the registry or cleanup utils out there they will reset everything back to the default. be careful when using these apps and check what your are deleteing or resetting most have option panels

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.