The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Redirecting a website

(8 posts)
  • Started 3 years ago by cinque8
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 519 times

cinque8

I purchased a website for a business that I run, but the site doesn't have the keywords that I want, and since I am not the webmaster I can't make any changes to the site. So I wanted to launch my own site, maybe on GoDaddy, with the keywords displayed in the fashion that I want, and then redirect the traffic to the first site. My question is how to I go about directing traffice from one site to another?

Thanks!

cinque8

Posted 3 years ago

Straspey
Straspey

It might be helpful if you could provide a bit more detailed information regarding exactly what it is you are trying to do. It also seems odd that you would actually purchase a website outright, yet not have access to the webmaster.

Having no direct experience in website design, construction and/or operation - my first impression of the term "redirect" connotes deception.

In fact, I use a Firefox add-on called "NoScript" which, among other features, is designed to protects me from attempts at re-directs and cross-scripting.

The only time I've ever seen redirecting used properly was concerning reputable websites which had changed their formats, names and addresses, and redirected their regular users to their new site until such time that the change was complete.

Posted 3 years ago

cinque8

Thank you for your pessimistic post. I bet you were one of those people who predicted the world was going to end last week.

Posted 3 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

There is no need for that cynicism. Your request is indeed odd.
You purchased a website. It means you own it. Which means you are the one that can make changes to it.
How can it be you're not the webmaster when it is YOUR site?
And if it is a company website and you purchased it for the company you would at least know the webmaster and be able to contact him or her.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

The way TO a website is the LINK operative, just like loading an image... you supply the link under a CLICK... that assumes you know the links to the different web pages on the other site. Getting back to you, can't be done via your site unless you open the link in a window/pop-up.

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

cinque8

Thanks Irv.

It's news to me that redirect is equated with deception.

I thought I was asking a very honest and simple question.

-cinque8

Posted 3 years ago

calebstein
calebstein

Redirecting webpages is very simple. Here are two examples for you to use http://pastebin.com/a80f28Rv. For people who use extensions like NoScript, the second option would probably be better.

Posted 3 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

Well, it depends how and more importantly, why, the transfer is done.

For instance, suppose I want to 'steal' some data like a login from someone. I'd either hack their site and send the request for that site to my site and I'd produce what looks like the real site. It would ask for a logon and p/w info. I'd record it and then send the person off to the real link they wanted. I'd have the data, the person would see another logon request, can't figure out why, but get in on the second attempt.

I don't think that deception was the root cause of what you were asking for myself, just some HTML answer.

However, I assume that you do know who the original author is and where the site is hosted? If you contact the author I guess fixing it would cost you money and that is what you want to avoid? Can you see if you can get the original site's source from him? I'd move it in total and re-do it as I wish.

You can probably save most if not all the source, but I suspect the original author is the owner and might not be too happy with you doing that?

Irv S.

Posted 3 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!