The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

Red X's instead of graphics

(8 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by flames6767
  • Latest reply from 0zSpitt
  • Topic Viewed 2502 times

flames6767

Can anyone help me get pictures instead of red x's? I've tried AOL, IE, Windows and HP for help. Each of them gave me instructions but when I reboot I still have them. It will cost me $59.00 to contact Microsoft although I did download instructions from them but they are Greek to me. I didn't get past the first paragraph and I was lost.

Thanking you in advance

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Hi flames, welcome to HTG. Could you please be more precise in what is happening? Which computer (name and model) do you have? What are you trying to open (look at), and with what program? Matt

Posted 5 years ago

flames6767

Hi mad--I have a new (5 months) HP Pavilion PC running Vista Home Premium. The red X's show up in some of my emails and also on sites that I visit while surfing. It's so random that it's hard to pinpoint. I'm running IE and AOL. The other day I was looking up cruise lines and on one site I couldn't see any of the ships only X's and another cruise site had about 1/3 X's. As I stated before I have picked the brains at AOL, Windows, and HP; and have instructions from Microsoft but there are 5 different solutions to try and I can hardly understand the instructions. If you have any ideas I'd be happy to try them. When I Google the X's for solutions there seem to be tons of people with the same problem but no answer.

Thanking you in advance. Tina

Posted 5 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

It seems to me that your images are being blocked with some kind of security suite/setting! What are you using to protect yourself? Try downloading Mozilla Firefox to see if your problem still exists.

Posted 5 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

For the images in your browser like Internet Explorer, it's possible the problem is with the web site itself or your Internet Service Provider. It would be helpful, if you could post the address of a site where the images don't appear so we could verify the site is not having problems before we continue troubleshooting your problem.
As for your email, most email clients now have spam/scam detection builtin the will disable the images if it thinks the message is spam or a scam. The email client should tell you when it does this though.

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

flames6767,

To add to (jd2066) posting, many ISPs including AOL strip out the pictures in E-mails which are (not) attachments to keep the spam problem down. This is especially true with E-mail Forwards.
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 5 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

this may be to simple to say,but have you checked your popup settings in your browser and/or your security programs? also do you have the latest adobe flash player?this has helped me with this issuse.
mike

Posted 5 years ago

0zSpitt
0zSpitt

sounds like internet explorer security is set too high. or if you have aol's security (macafee or what ever) you could use something else

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.