How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

$Recycler.bin on external hard drives.

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by pandemonium17
  • Latest reply from pandemonium17
  • Topic Viewed 4176 times

pandemonium17
pandemonium17

I have a 300GB Western Digital and 1TB Seagate External Hard drives. When I open it there is a folder named $Recycler.bin on it. I tried deleting it and it comes back right after I deleted it. The folders are in shorcut form and I can't access my files in other computers. I can only access it on one computer that I assumed created the $recycler.bin or the source of $recycler.bin. How can I remove this from my external hard drives and on the computer itself to help prevent infecting my other storage devices?

My computer runs on Windows 7 32-bit and here is the screenshot of the infected files: http://tinypic.com/r/2r5xg8g/5

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

External drives will have recycle bin on them. Where else would files go that you delete on the drive.
You can delete it as much as you want, but it will always come back.

Other storage devices cannot get infected from what's in the bin.

Posted 2 years ago

pandemonium17
pandemonium17

but I tried opening my files on other computers but I can't access it. That never happened before

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

That's because your files aren't on other computers I suspect. Or are in a different place.

Posted 2 years ago

pandemonium17
pandemonium17

Recycler folder also has a 6c257b9d.exe, is that normal? and how do I make the files accessible on all computers?

Posted 2 years ago

pandemonium17
pandemonium17

it also has desktop.ini file

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

You can just delete the entire bin folder.
To have those files accessible on other computers, the files must be on the external drive itself.

That .exe is very likely a virus file, so install, update, and then run a deep scan of your system with,
http://www.filehippo.com/downl.....i_malware/
Also run a scan on any other computers that drive has been plugged into.

Posted 2 years ago

edmenje
edmenje

Lighthouse, right! I once had a USB drive infected with an autostart virus, and part of the infection activity was to create a $Recycler.bin folder which would be the staging point for the other components of the virus (the autostart pointed to this folder in it's code) so, yes, pandemonium17 I suggest you look for a virus probably in an autostart. The one I originally had on it was to autostart PortableApps.com launcher, which the virus overwrote. Since then, if I use it I manually start the launcher just to be safe.

Posted 2 years ago

pandemonium17
pandemonium17

I tried the deep scan but it didn't solve my problem

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!