The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Recovery Problem

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by citymanrick
  • Latest reply from G41M
  • Topic Viewed 353 times

citymanrick

Hi Everyone, Please help me help my son. My son purchased a hp G72-b27cl notebook from Goodwill industries & we were (are) very proud of him for making a decision to help others as well by bidding & winning the notebook on their online auction, The notebook looked to be in pristine condition upon arrival as stated in auction, Auction stated he would just need a new charger & a hard drive. He followed up with the charger & a 500GB Hard drive. He then started computer up & it goes to setting up computer for 1st time use, it shows where software is being installed, then starting windows for 1st time use set up is installing devices, & finally welcome screen. However it starts flashing & goes back to soft ware is being installed, then back to starting windows for 1st time use, from their it shows Restoration Incomplete, Please select one of the following, Save Logs, Details or Retry, However when you tap on Details it doesn't do anything, nor on save logs, When you tap on Retry, The whole process starts over again. He attempted this 3 times before it was time for him to go to bed so he can go to school this morning. Fact is no one in our home really knows much about computers when it comes to any repairs & we felt that the Goodwill was telling us just what it would take to get this notebook going & that's why we approved of him spending his money on the auction. At this time he has spent little over $300-00 & that took him a long time to earn & save & to say he is upset is putting it mildly. If any one could give me (us) any ideals what is going on here we would be very grateful. It has the product key # & product # XG983UA#ABA. No recovery CD'S were included. He attempted to restart it using the F-11 key & it went to the recovery link & same process again with same results. Please help. Thank you

Posted 1 year ago

oldgeezer

How exactly are you doing the restoration? Unless the harddrive came from exactly the same model laptop you will not be able to use the recovery partition that it may have on it, you need the correct recovery disks in order to do it.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

It would be more advisable to just do a clean install of Windows 7. Here is a tutorial..

Check the Windows 7 version on the sticker at the back of the laptop and download the appropriate Windows 7 .iso image here..

Burn the .iso image to create a bootable DVD. Use the Product Key at the back of the laptop.

Download the appropriate drivers here.

Posted 1 year ago

citymanrick

Hello
1st of all I want to Thank every one for responding to my request for help on this matter. Unfortunately I'm not even home to attempt to try the ideals that have been shared, However sometime later today/this evening I will have the available time to try to do what has been suggested & i will let you know how it turned out. Thank you all again & I'm truly sorry I took so long to respond back.

Posted 1 year ago

citymanrick

Once again, I say Thank you to each & everyone that replied back. We now have a computer working in the manner it should be & we know their is no way that task would of been accomplished with out those that responded back to our pleas for help. This site has got to be one of the best I have ever used. Thank you.

Posted 1 year ago

G41M

Glad we could be of help. But also bear in mind, in a way, we also learn from you :-). So, thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!