How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - Recovery error on Toshiba Satellite A205-S5864

(21 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by impayler
  • Latest reply from LH
  • Topic Viewed 89719 times

impayler

Hi,
This is a tough one, really need some help. My little cousin's laptop is not booting up, model Toshiba Satellite A205-S5864. At first it showed boot error, I got the recovery disks, went though the recovery process. I even reformatted the Hard Drive. I am now getting this error, while using the Toshiba recovery Wizard. <ERROR> An Error has occurred. Error : 10- FA11 -045D. Recovery Error. Please press [OK] to turn off the computer.
I don't know what to this, is the HD corrupt and needs to be replaced??? Not sure what to do at this point... Computer is over 1 year old, out of warranty.
Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Hi impayler. Do you have a Vista Repair disk ?

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

yes, LH, that is the disk that I am putting in. It is Toshiba branded.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Repair and Recovery are 2 different things. Does it actually give you the option to Repair ?
It will be an Installation/Repair disk. Or, see here,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-have-one/

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

This is another post I found on this problem.
Recovery problem

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC12-045D" -- may be caused by a faulty hard drive.

Looks like I may need to replace the Hard Drive.
Im going to try to install XP ultimate on this laptop

Any ideas?

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

LH,
I'm going to give it a shot and create a repair disk. I did see an option on the TOshiba Recovery disk that allowed Start up repair and did it, but the process just hung.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Read this,
http://laptopforums.toshiba.co.....r/m-p/8431
and this,
http://id-discussions.com/foru.....hp?t=89432

Not necessarily the hard drive.

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

I will give vista recovery a short. I just downloaded and burned the iso file for the repair/recovery windows vista 32 b cd. I will let you know how this goes.
Thanks for the info.

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

I just did the repair attempt, the system could not be repaired. I have a windows 7 cd I will try to install it. Beta version.

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

Windows 7 Beta install failed, got the blue screen of death 25 mins into installation. Purchasing a new Hard Drive now and will replace it.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

1 little thing you can try. Can you get to a Command Prompt with the Repair disk ?

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

yes, I can

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Try running a chkdsk /f command for C: drive

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

I did that already and got the following error. The type of file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Windows can not run disk checking on this volume because its is write protected.

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

ok managed to run the command. returned normal results

Posted 5 years ago

wakekeke70

While running a full system recovery from the Recovery Media, the installation may fail -- and display one of the error messages listed below. Possible causes of these error conditions are listed at right. Use this list as a troubleshooting guide -- not as an absolute list of causes, as there may be others.

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC10-1710" -- may be caused by a faulty hard drive.

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC12-0241" -- may be caused by a faulty hard drive or defective memory.

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC12-045D / 10-FC11-045D" -- may be caused by a faulty hard drive. *****

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC06-0002" -- may be caused by damaged recovery media or faulty hard drive.

"An error has occurred. ERROR :10-FC12-0970" -- may be caused by defective memory.

*for this error 10-FC12-045D u nid to call 1-800-457-7777 toshiba advance technical support they will send it to depot or they will recommend ASP (Authorized Service Partner)

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

I got the replacement hard drive, will put it in today will let you know how that goes.
Thanks all.

Posted 5 years ago

impayler

I installed a new 320 GB hard drive. Ran the recovery disks. Laptop booted up fine, everything working without any issues.
Thanks everyone.

Posted 5 years ago

LH

Glad you got it sorted. A liitle tip, if you can afford it, always buy disks in pairs. 2 disks same make/model from the same batch. That way you more than double your chances of a recovery if 1 fails, as you can interchange the parts.

Posted 5 years ago

zerots

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem as impayler. My question though, is: should the hard drive be of the same brand as the one in the laptop, or another brand with the same specs would also do fine?

Thanx a lot in advance

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.