The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

(Solved) - recovery discs

(9 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by lilflwr
  • Latest reply from lilflwr
  • Topic Viewed 852 times

lilflwr

Could someone please tell me how to make recovery discs foe my desk top. It has vista, got a virous just a few days after installing Norton 360. Can't even do a system restore. Need to wipe it and reinstall drivers but it did not come with recovery discs. Please any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....-have-one/ Read this.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

You should be able to reinstall from the recovery partition - that is the fastest way. What is the make of your PC - maybe I have the procedure on file.

But if you reinstall, make sure you save you own data first.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock

@whs, I don't like Nortons but, wonder why it would cause this problem?

Posted 2 years ago

whs

My experience with Norton is pretty good. But maybe the OP did not update the definition files. Or the virus was a real sophisticated beast.

Posted 2 years ago

lilflwr

it is a Acer, Aspire M3100, AMD Athlon.
is that what you need to know.
i am very frustrated and want to use it for target practice. :(

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

To restore an Acer lappy see here: http://www.geekpolice.net/t744.....-erecovery

But this brings you back to day one, the day you bought it. All you data will be lost, unless you backed the data up.

Nearly all machines have the facility to burn the OS and you should have done this after purchase, initial setup would have given you this option anyway.

If you have to reinstall, which looks likely, then we should look at imaging once you are safe and securely back into windows, all software installed.

The image will then get you back pretty quick.

In my opinion, Norton is not a very good choice at all, as an A/v or backup.
Norton has caused so many problems with clients, we have gone elsewhere for a solution.

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

lilflwr

i found vista_recovery_disc. clicked on it and it opens a window called NTI meddia maker 8, with a smaller window on top of it called write disc, with the options of simulate, write, after burning, advanced, help, cancel, start. but i dont know if it is writing the os or not.
QUESTION: in the computor window where it list the different drives and all, is the ACER (C:) drive that has 88.7GB free of 144 GB- is that where the os is at? (the recovery partition?)

Posted 2 years ago

lilflwr

norton keeps popping up with auto protect and the unresolved security risk of : Trojan.Gen.2

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.