The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - Recovering Windows files from bad harddrive

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by absoluteidiot
  • Latest reply from Veegertx
  • Topic Viewed 1412 times

absoluteidiot

Hello Everyone here is my first post on the forum I hope to get some help here, thanks for reading and any responses will be appreciated.

so here is the scenario:

Bad Hard drive.

I have laptop (windows 7) which was not turning on

1st: it would go on starting windows ..then the welcome with the cursor arror on it but never would like to move on, tried the system repair options several times by forcing shutdown.
2nd: then it decided not to anywhere from the black blank, it won't even go into bios.

i took one of the RAM (It has two) , luckily it went into bio.

went into the recovery options , tried all options then i got this message:

windows cannot repair...
problem signature 04: 83
problem signature 05: autofailover
problem signature 06:1
Problem signature 07: Bad disk
OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033.

Thats it.

well OK bad hard drive, need to replace the hard drive? yes?

but my question is: Is there anyway to get the recovery partition copied to a USB or CD disk.
if that's possible then can you use this to install it on a fresh drive? or format the drive and install the windows from it?

i know the straight forward option would be to get a new hard drive and Windows and bang bang.

but the problem is I don't have the recovery disks or it didn't come with the laptop instead it came as internal partition.
and i can't afford to get a new hard drive and windows disk (calling the manufacture of the laptop? they might cost me again so lets not think of that as a solution here)

so is there any way to either copy or transfer the recovery partition on an external drive and then use it later either on the fresh drive or formatted one.

as it seem like the hard drive has bad sectors for the windows start up and that's probably why its not going any further ..am I right?
in that case it might still be possible that part of the hard drive that has the recovery partition is still accessible or can be copied?

but then why I can't get the option on the recovery panel where you can simply put the system to factory settings?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

thanks for looking.

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

You can get W7 from here. Choose your version with SP1:

http://www.askvg.com/direct-do.....nd-64-bit/

Burn iso with this at 4x: http://www.softpedia.com/get/C.....Burn.shtml

Use your product key to activate it.

If you post the make and model we'll look for the drivers.

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

absoluteidiot

great thanks.

is there any way to find out the product key for my current copy or windows installed on my laptop.

i manage to to use the 'install drivers' option in recovery environment, where i saved the files on USB.

Before i format the disk and install a fresh windows.

is it possible to use the product key with any windows installation disk (for instance if i download the copy from the link above)

cheers for replying.

plus i have been able to save the drivers folder on the usb disk , which might be helpful to install the drivers later? may be?

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

absoluteidiot, the product key will be printed underneath your laptop on the sticker which will be xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

5 sets of 5 in an alphanumeric string

Apply that key

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

absoluteidiot

i know mike but its one of those laptop which doesn't have the product key on the backside :(

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

Some laptops have that sticker under the removable battery.

In any case, you can use this to get the Windows key (and many other programs installed).
MagicalJellyBean Keyfinder

Posted 1 year ago

absoluteidiot

cheers afuhnk, do I have to use this (jellybeans) after the windows installation has been completed or can i use this using command prompt?

or is there any program i can run from DOS prompt prior to windows installation? in case i would need the key during windows installation?

plus is there any option on the image burner software which can make the .iso file or the installation disk bootable? or it doesn't have to be bootable?

cheers.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

My bad, didn't fully read your original post.
Magical Jelly Bean Keyfind won't be of any help if you can't boot from the defective drive.
It could be useful if it was not Windows 7.

From the FAQ:

Q: Can I retrieve the product key from a non-booting Windows installation?
As long as both Windows versions are 2000, XP, 2003, or Vista, you can use the Load Hive function. You will have to slave the drive and point the Keyfinder to the non-booting Windows directory.

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx

http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....indows-pc/
Retrieving the Product Key Offline

1. Create a BartPE boot CD including the ProduKey executable in a custom folder. Start BartPE boot environment.

You will need the key

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

The W7 disk is bootable by default.

You need to get the config folder first where the key is kept. Possibly use a live linux disk to get it offline.

http://www.howtogeek.com/64600.....-computer/

Having the config file saved you would then reinstall Windows and install Produkey from Nirsoft which you then point to the saved config file to get the key.

Edit: cross posted with veegertx. You have two options.

Posted 1 year ago

absoluteidiot

Cheers stringJunky,

its bit annoying that image burner you mentioned above won't give me to burn the image with 4x , it only has 8x option?

Does it matter?

what if i just burn it with 8x speed?

or any other software i can use to burn at 4x?

many thanks

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix

Product Key does NOT give correct result for Windows 8. :(

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk

From http://www.winhelponline.com/b.....indows-pc/

ProduKey works on all 32-bit versions of Windows. However, some features, like viewing the product keys of another operating system instance, are only supported on Windows 2000/XP.

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx

lets not steer off
This is Win 7 forum, I know peeps will post in wrong spot but OP said I have laptop (windows 7) so remarks about ProduKey are off.

8x should work but MS software for some reason turns out better at 4x. Possibly the burner you are trying cause most programs will offer the 4x

Posted 1 year ago

StringJunky

vegertex I think the OP needs to extract the config file and read it with something but my tests aren't working. I'm trying Enchanted Key Finder but it can't find the path and tells me to run as admin but to no avail..

As for the 8x speed if the disk doesn't work make sure dvd is first boot device and if that fails make another one.

Tony

Posted 1 year ago

absoluteidiot

thanks for all your help , so here i go again with a brand new problem ..thanks to windows 7 or my Samsung 1 TB hard drive.

so I managed to installed windows 7, installed all the drivers ...Laptop back to life , normal.

from out a nowhere i decided to create system image so i can use it later in case of serious system illness.

it took all night all day took about 5 4gb, DVDs... and yet still not even half way.

i could not take this any-more, cancelled the backup.

was shutting down the PC, but was taking ages.

out of frustration i forced power off..shut down.

here comes the problem...the system won't boot.

it shows the hard drive in bios...

now I'm trying to re install the windows but the set-up can't find the hard drive...its not listing in disk selection section of the windows 7 home premium set up.

tried to get in the system using ubuntu usb installer, tried be DBAN usb hard disk wiper... but none seem to be work.

the ubuntu installer saying that windows didn't safely close the files....
DBAN said he/she can't fix and the hard drive was not wiped up.

now i'm looking for some sort of bootable utility that enable me to format the hard disk that might help?

i think...but may be there are other ways if possible to make this hard drive back to working order and install windows 7 again..

i promise i won't do backup again...:)

thanks for all your help and patience

much much appreciated.

Posted 1 year ago

Veegertx

Boot with win 7 dvd till it stops. Press Shift and F10 together should give command prompt
Type these in order

DISKPART << wait till it starts
SELECT DISK 0
CLEAN
FORMAT QUICK FS=NTFS

exit and reboot with dvd

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.