The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

Recover Word document that has 'unrcoverable disk errors'

(6 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by jawesome
  • Latest reply from ScottW
  • Topic Viewed 896 times

jawesome

I have a simple [text only], but long [163 pages, 140,652 words], word document [Word 95] that suddenly wouldn't open. I have to click off several disk error messages and then it goes to a 'Word can not open file' message. This is a personal journal for the entire year and I would like to recover as much of it as possible, if possible.

I have already used Norton Security and ran a scan files on it. That found no errors. I also ran a check disk for my entire computer and that did not fix it. I attached the file to an email and sent it to my laptop just to see if it would open there [Word 97] and it did not open.

Does anybody have any ideas that might help me?

Thanks,

Johnny

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

If you use Vista or XP you should be able to find an earlier version that still works.
You will lose all entries made into it after the date of the shadow, but at least you get most of the year back.
In Vista you may use shadowexplorer to browse to the location of the file and recover only that file (not do a complete systemrestore - that would be a bit overkill;-D).
Link follows.

Cheers,
Sarah.

Posted 5 years ago

SarahJames
SarahJames

http://www.shadowexplorer.com/

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Johnny, which version of Word are you using? There may be an autosave or autorecovery file with a recent backup of your document. Here's a KB article that may or may not apply, but it might lead you in the right direction:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/107686

Posted 5 years ago

jawesome

Thanks to Sarah & Scott

Sorry about the missing details. I'm kind of new at this.

Here is the exact series of messages and the MS & Word versions for both computers.

1 2 3 & 4 Microsoft Word Error=1190 There is an unrecoverable error on file '00 2008 Journal'

Same message appears 4 times, has to be clicked off each time, then goes to

5 Microsoft Word Error=1025

The desktop, where the item was ruined, is running
MS XP Home 2002 Version 5.1.2600 build 2600

MS Word for Windows 95 Version 7.0a

The laptop, where I sent an attached copy of the ruined file hoping to recover it there, is running
MS Windows XP Professional
Version 2002 SP2

MS Word 2002 (10.2627.2625)

There is a box checked in Options of the desktop that asks for an auto save, set at every 10 minutes

Johnny

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

What a nightmare with all of those version numbers. It looks to me as if:
Word 95 = Word 7.0 = Word
Word 2002 = Word 10.0 = Word XP

But, I could be wrong. From that KB article, above, I think you are looking for .asd or .bak files in the autosave directory.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!