The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Recover files from crashed HD after installing Windows 7 Home Prem on new HD

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by Schmorzando
  • Latest reply from Schmorzando
  • Topic Viewed 386 times

Schmorzando

Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium took a blow. Installed new HD and loaded "Recovery Media". The old HD is in an external drive enclosure. I've enabled the Hidden Administrator Account, which lets me see some of what was on it, but not all. The Program Files (x86) folder had a lot of programs, but nothing is visible. Oh yeah, Explorer View options are set to show everything. What am I missing here?

Posted 2 years ago

Oakdude

apparently illegal advice....sorry

Posted 2 years ago

whs

What exactly do you want to recover from the old HDD.

Posted 2 years ago

Schmorzando

My Documents folder had a lot of stuff that I'd really like to have back. The folder is there, but nothing shows in it. Everybody talks Backup...Nobody does it.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Try this: http://www.sevenforums.com/sof.....puter.html

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

The folder is probably there from the new installation. The old one is most probably gone. If you did a clean install the NTFS File table was reset. Personally I don't thing you have a chance of recovering anything.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

Now I am confused. Did you or did you not install anything on the old drive (the one you now have in the enclosure) that could have overwritten your files. That point was not quite clear from your initial posting.

Posted 2 years ago

Schmorzando

The drive in the enclosure is the OLD one. Nothing has been installed on it or copied to it since its unpleasantry.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

Sorry, I misread. Have you tried running chkdsk /r on the drive?

Posted 2 years ago

Schmorzando

Not yet, but I will.

Posted 2 years ago

germ-x

Here's another option. They have a free trial version. http://www.boot-disk.com/download.htm

Posted 2 years ago

Schmorzando

chkdsk is giving "File System is RAW". Apparently the jolt it took moved drive head alignment...in short, I'm dicked.

Thanks for trying to help, anyway.

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.