The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Recommended Certifications.

(6 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Dcw329
  • Latest reply from Dcw329
  • Topic Viewed 332 times

Dcw329

What are some of the more commonly demanded certifications that are on the easier to obtain side. I'm aware that if it is easy, its not exactly worth much, but not having any certifications at all, i want to go ahead and knock out the easy ones before i get more specialized certs. what are a good top 3 or top 5 to just give a broad "i'm good with computers".

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

If you do not have a sincere desire to delve into and learn this stuff you will not get far no matter how many "certs" you have. Pick something you are truly interested in learning and get that one first.

Posted 1 year ago

Dcw329

well i do. but i can knock out an A+ cert without even studying. and its a pretty good general "im good with computers." and i plan on getting lpic-1 and then study up for lpic-2. im half way through a book related to mcsa, so when i finish that ill take that one. but im looking for some more certs along the lines of A+, and not LPIC because thats alittle more specific to my skill set, and since the community forum doesnt know my skill set, asking that question would be pointless. im thinking security+ and net+ would be some more general purpose certs, but i wasnt sure if there was anything else that is commonly accepted in the field. i dont want to waste my time getting something if nobody recognizes it.

Posted 1 year ago

drpepper

It depends on what your goal is: get a job in IT, move up within a department, transfer to a different department, etc. Which certifications are needed is driven by your market area and the field you are interested in. Check with a local temp agency who deals in IT jobs for their job placement, a local newspaper employment section, or online job postings. Maybe check with a local company to get their desired requirements. In my market area, the most common entry level certifications are A+ and Net+, but these are only the basics for consideration. The certifications may move you to the top of the list for consideration.

drpepper

Posted 1 year ago

Kelen
Kelen

Anything from CompTIA will be good for foundational. Take as many as you like and feel comfortable. Think where you want to go. Do you like being Helpdesk/Tech Support. The instructor that teaches business client how to use Office. Do you want to manage Servers, Group Policies, and Users? Are you more hardware based and want to build up the networks infrastructure with Routers and Switches and pull cables? Feel like making your own programs or websites? You got many paths and IT is one of those fields that's hard to be a jack of all trades with the changes that happen. Get the CompTIA ones you feel strongest with first and focus on what interests you the most. Many can crossover into each other but don't try to do it all.

Posted 1 year ago

Dcw329

those are pretty much exactly the answers i needed. i was looking at getting the comptia certs, but thats because they are the only ones ive heard of. for the past few years ive been all about getting the knowledge and have done nothing to prove that i know it. and because ive been so separated from the certifications, i just wanted a second opinion on what certs are worth getting. with 2 people supporting an idea i already had, it makes be feel alittle bit better about my direction of attack. ill pretty much do exactly what yall described. thanks for the input

*SOLVED*
(unless anyone wants to add anything. im always up for more information.)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.