How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Recommendations for external hard drive, portable/not

(10 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by Katy
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 408 times

Katy

Three related questions.

1. A friend who isn't technically knowledgeable would like recommendations for an external back-up drive. I imagine a portable one would be ok.

She needs one that has decent software, meaning that it explains what she needs to do to attach the drive and perform the backup. She also would like one that would backup her email from Outlook.

Her PC is 4 years old, so I'm assuming she's got Windows 7.

2. For my own information, I'd also like to know this: after you've performed a backup, it's ok to remove a portable external drive, isn't it? The drive I bought had no explanations .... In fact, the drive didn't come with any real instructions at all, and the software primarily says "Do x" & "Next". Highly user unfriendly, and I'm worried about the quality of the backup!

3. Is bad software standard on external hard drives?

TIA

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Well I wouldn't buy a drive that had software on it. Have a look at Macrium,
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....p-utility/
And I recommend Western Digital Elements drives. 3.5 inch, if you can find one.

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike
vistamike

Katy hi.

The 'backup' software supplied with most externals are pretty limited ( my GoFlex had memeo backup software but prompts me to buy the full version )

With all my drives I wipe the loaded s/w with a vigorous full format

As Lighthouse pointed out above, this is the better option

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

1. Here is one that is pretty good. Costs $79.99 today. http://www.newegg.com/Product/....._-Homepage

2. You need no instructions to attach it. Just plug the USB cable into the USB port. And yes, you can unplug it any time. Use 'Safely Remove' to make sure it is not active.

3. The recommended free Macrium is the best backup/recovery program I have found up to now. Here is a little tutorial for you how to use it: http://www.sevenforums.com/tut.....html?ltr=I

Posted 1 year ago

Katy

So far, your answers are helpful, in fact, each one adds to the previous, but I'm looking for a wider range of suggestions, if possible.

@Lighthouse & Vistamike: you're experienced, so your comments are a little less helpful/complete than WHS. @WHS: Thanks!

Accepted Answer · Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Here you have 8 pages of storage devices that are today's 'Deal of the day'. Some are internal devices and SSDs. But there are plenty of external disks too.

http://www.deals2buy.com/categ.....ices/deals

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Katy we give more help, as, and if, you need it. What you are asking is a very simple question.

Posted 1 year ago

Katy

Ok, Lighthouse.

Re recommendations, I was looking for ideas about which worked best. I've seen WD recommended in the past, but things can change.

On the other hand, the one WHS pointed out actually has instructions, which is fantastic. So I'll just go with what you've all offered.

Many thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

Katy

@WHS: I didn't mean to imply that you're inexperienced, and I see from the Macrium link you aren't. Your ID says member, so that was a shorthand way of saying you aren't part of the site support team.

I was impressed by the info you included, given your experience. Very well informed tech people often don't understand the context standard users need. This I know because I'm a non-techy Tech Writer (I consult and work with stuff until I can explain it for other non-techy people like myself. If it can break, I will do it).

Thanks again to you all

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

Katy, Thanks for the comments. I have only worked with computers since 1958 and developed Operating Systems for 35 years. But there is always something new to learn.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.