How-To Geek Forums / Site Suggestions

Suggestions: User Activity Section of Profile

(7 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by jmcguire
  • Latest reply from jmcguire
  • Topic Viewed 1831 times

jmcguire
jmcguire

In the profile, currently recent replies and threads started are sorted by most recent created being listed first and are two separate groups. This functions well and serves its purpose. I feel though that some improvement could be made to make this site even more user friendly than it already is.

My suggestion to make this list more organized, and in some ways more readable:

Combine the lists, placing a symbol (such as a star) next to posts the user created.
- Currently the same post can (and does) appear under both lists.
- This would make the list smaller by getting rid of duplicates and in the process, clean the page up slightly.

Have the lists sorted by most recent reply.
- Currently the list is sorted by most recently created.
- This makes it easier to access more recently active posts.
- A post created today may be solved in 10 minutes, but a post created last month, may still be heavily active.

Displaying replies as unread.
- Currently the unread replies are displayed as a different font color.
- This is a great idea, but the difference is very small.
- In addition to the color change, having the text bold would allow it to stick out more.

I do not mean to offend anyone with my suggestions. This is honestly the most helpful and nicest forum I have ever used.

Thank you.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Anyone have any feedback, criticism, additions, changes, etc. to my idea?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I must have missed that post entirely...

Good suggestions, the user profile section is horrible and disorganized. =) I've got a lot of upgrades planned, but unfortunately most of them require a chasm in the space/time continuum.

And you are always free to suggest whatever you'd like. In fact, you are free to email me anytime you want if you have suggestions. Don't worry about offending, I typically like honest feedback.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Sounds good.

I hope to see what changes you have planned in the future.

By the way, I really enjoy using these forums because everyone is helpful and kind, whereas most forums you are berated multiple times before any actual help is given.

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Yes, that's the #1 rule around here: everybody has to be friendly!

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

@The Geek
Just wondering how your planned updates are coming along and if any of my suggestions may make it into the final build.

Also as a note, I was on the forums using IE the other day, and they look completely different. When I would make posts with hard returns in them to separate lines, they didn't show up in IE.

Posted 6 years ago

jmcguire
jmcguire

Thought I would bring this up simply to see if anyone had any new opinions or ideas on the suggestion.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.