The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Microsoft Office

recent items

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by Tom
  • Latest reply from Tayac
  • Topic Viewed 1170 times

Tom

I have one Excel file out of many that when I open it it doesn't get put on the recent item list in vista. Is there any solution to this problem? All other files that I open also get put on the recent item list. Just this one Excel work sheet.

Posted 6 years ago

Tayac

Since recently, though too many restore points ago, I've got the same problem, though not for one but several Excel (2003) files on Vista SP1. When I create a new Excel file it is okay (for the new one :-( )

Posted 5 years ago

Tayac

Even stranger: If I rename the file, then it appears on the recent items list. As soon as I rename it back it won't be updated in the list anymore.
Plus, if I build a new excel file, copy all the contents the same circus starts all over again: depending on the name it works ok or not.
I searched the registry and the suspect name (btw: Portfolio) doesn't appear anywhere

Posted 5 years ago

whs
whs

This is interesting. But why is that a problem in the first place? What do you do with "recent items"? Just curious.

Posted 5 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

It depends upon how you open the file, if in Excel you do a File...Open...filename.xls, then it should appear in your recent items. If you open it via the icon (ie, double click filename.xls) it will not show up in the recent items list.

Posted 5 years ago

Tayac

I (re)checked it, but that doesn't make any difference. Thanks anyway.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!