How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

Really annoying HP 'sleep' button

(3 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by richardlondon
  • Latest reply from trinidad
  • Topic Viewed 9296 times

richardlondon

Hello,

I have a newish PC, and have been repeatedly irritated by the way everything that was quick and easy to access before is now hidden, the OS is generally slower and offers little useful new functionality... however that aside I have a HP keyboard which some bright spark decided to put a large sleep button on - right next to the Esc button, so I have 'slept' my PC quite a few times when just trying to type an email, document or other - how can i disable this in Vista?
Any help very much appreciated... and yes I have learned, I will not upgrade to another version of Windows again, they just get worse and worse...

Thanks in advance!
Richard

Posted 6 years ago

ScottW

Richard, hello and welcome. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options and on the left hand side find and select "Choose what the power buttons do". There is a drop-down menu next to "When I press the Sleep button:". Choose "Do nothing" and the sleep button will be rendered powerless.

Vista certainly takes getting used to. You are correct that many settings are hidden away and harder to find than in XP. That was one of my first impressions as well. What I did was to read up on Vista Tips & Tricks on this site and others and now it's like second nature. There are shortcuts and customizations you can perform that make system management easier.

Posted 6 years ago

trinidad

There is a faster way to do what scottw mentioned. what you do is open your start menu and in the search box type "Power Options" and then enter your power options will open up

you can also right click on the desktop and click on personalize. when the "PERSONALIZE APPERANCE AND SOUND" folder opens click on screen saver. The screen saver window will look just like one in XP. In the Box that says power management click on the blue link that says power management.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.