The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows XP

Re-install everything after Ctrl+F11

(8 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by maryellen55
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 576 times

maryellen55

I did this on my old computer & now dont know what to do first or have to get it to run cds.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

What did CTRL + F11 do? When did you press it? What computer and model? When you say "Run CDs do you mean boot from CD? or play a CD? Please describe more fully what you did and are trying to do.

Posted 1 year ago

maryellen55

I had it so full of crap, not enough space to do anything. i wiped it out, back to out of factory new. It's a dell, 8 years old. I can'remember exact model right now. I was told by a friend to install drivers & utilities disk first, but disk doesn't start on it's own. Maybe I'm trying the wrong thing first.

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

I think most if not all Dell Driver CD's are NOT bootable.

There are TWO ways to accomplish what you want.

The harder way is when installing Windows FRESH, you'll see a prompt to press F6 to install drivers. That is what you'd do and then have the CD in the CD player. Only problem here is that you MIGHT not know what drivers are needed. Generally speaking, most Windows installs have all the 'required' drivers except ones needed to install either SCSI or RAID drivers for some devices that came out after the ship of the OS version you have.

Easiest way, install Windows and THEN see what is not installed in Device Manager. THEN install those drivers from the CD.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

maryellen55

Thanks. I'll try that & see if it works.

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

All the essential drivers should be on the Dell installation DVD. I have never yet needed to use the Dell driver CD.

Posted 1 year ago

maryellen55

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000 Series. I guess I need to purchase Windows XP cd, as I can't find mine. when it gets to second sceen, I see Loading PBR for discriptor...Done. Starting Windows 95... I had Windows XP.

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x
germ-x

Put your Cd in the computer your using for your post and see what is on it. If you see a file named setup.exe click on it and see what opens up. You can always cancel the setup but you will be able to identify what O/S is on the disk.
Back when the Dimension was new Dell furnished installation and driver disks.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.