How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Random Hangs, The odd BSOD, General Rubbish Behavior

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by floateruk
  • Latest reply from floateruk
  • Topic Viewed 363 times

floateruk

Hi all,

I'm having some real problems with my laptop at the moment and I would really appreciate some help.

I'm going to try and keep it to the point, but these are the problems I've noticed.

I first spotted any issue whilst using traktor dj software last Friday. After an hour of use the computer wouldn't load the next track and hung for about a minute even though the program was running and sound was playing.

I then noticed I would suddenly get random slow downs in any program trying to do anything. All i would get is a blue spinny wheel and a minutes wait for it to do anything. This could be web browing, using musicbee etc. I also noticed that getting into control panel would take about 4 minutes etc etc. Once it had cleared the computer goes back to being as fast as it ever was. I also got a java .dll error, but reinstalling java was taking about 40 minutes (is that normal?) so I gave up. I also noticed at one point that I couldn't copy text in chrome without it crashing the page.

I cant hear the hard drive over working, and the cpu and ram were running normally, and no processes were taking up all system resources.

I decided to try and use a restore, but I had only one restore point from before Friday, and when I tried to use it the computer had a critical failure. Unfortunately I didn't get a screen shot in time before I BSOD'd.

On startup from here I got repeated BSOD after about 3 minutes of windows being logged in.

I have managed to restore to another restore point, and at present the system is stable, apart from the random hangs.

So far I have:

Tried restore - failed
Run checkdisk - no issues
Run Malwarebytes - clean
Run AVG - clean
Cleared all temp files and recycle bin etc.
Run sfc -scannow which tells me some files cannot be repaired....

I don't remember when I ran CCleaner, but I have since read that the ccleaner registry cleaner is not needed with win 7 and can cause issues. Can this be what I've done?

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this would be massively appreciated.*

I have a Samsung series 5 ultrabook for the hardware. model NP530U3c-a01uk

Thank you in advance for any help.

Posted 1 year ago

warlock

Sounds to me like it maybe overheating. Make sure all vents are clear of dust and debris. Easiest thing to check first.

Posted 1 year ago

Zagreus

Try a Ubunto live cd http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....computer/.

And backup any important files that you may need and then do a factory reset. Dont forget to boot from the cd.

Daveh.

Posted 1 year ago

floateruk

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

Warlock- there are only three small vents on the bottom of the laptop, and all are clean. The unit is only three months old, and it isn't in constant use, so I'd be surprised if it was overheating. I will get some compressed air though, and give it a once over to make sure it hasn't sucked up a sock or something...

Zagreus- I do have an Ubunto dvd. As the system is accesible though and all my data is kept on a NAS, I don't really need it to get access to anything I want to keep. I'd rather leave factory reset as a last resort though.

There's also the option of upgrading to windows 8 (?!). Any advice on if this would fix any issues if it's down to windows 7, or is it just a bad idea all round?

How does my factory recovery etc work if I do upgrade? Would it take me back to 7 and then I'd have to reupgrade to 8?

Posted 1 year ago

gedstar

Don't recommend an upgrade to Windows 8, tried it myself, awful mess to clean up, ended up doing a clean install. Had a few issues with Windows 8 so reverted back to Windows 7

Posted 1 year ago

germ-x

Try uninstalling the "traktor dj software" & Musicbee for starters.
Totally uninstall Java.
These can all be reinstalled after your problem is fixed.
You can also go into taskmgr and see what processes are running and start to end the process one at a time. This might take a while since you only have randum hangs now.
I would make a restore point before attempting any changes then make one each time you uninstall something. Again you can always reinstall them /it.
You really need another system or dual boot to play with Windows 8. Once you feel like you like it then wipe Win7 and do a clean install of win8.
Suggest you make an image of what you have using Macrium before making any wild changes.
I think in CCleaner registry cleaner there is an option for restoring. Here again you need to make either images or restore points before making these changes.

Posted 1 year ago

floateruk

Well, as I keep the system pretty clean I thought I'd do a full restore which only took 10 minutes. I'm just trying to remove the demo of office that come with the laptop and it's now been gathering information for half an hour. I am however still able to use the system besides it. I'm a bit confused now as to whether this is still a "hang" or just the uninstall failing.

So as I type this, it has finished uninstalling. Out of interest I'm now uninstalling norton online backup. Again this is taking a ridiculous amount of time. It doesn' look like my hard drive is being activated, and the cpu and ram are under no load at all. I've just checked temperatures and cpu is 38, hd is 23. So it doesn't look like it's overheating either.

For another test, I thought I'd load up steam. Now ten minutes waiting for it to start installing. Never seen an issue like this. I have no ideas at all as to whats going on.....

Any other ideas as to what can be causing these slow downs? Or do I just need to send it back to Samsung?

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.