The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

RAM Upgrades

(10 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by mcharlton
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 1794 times

mcharlton

This may seem like a really stupid question to somehere .... but ... right I want to upgrade my RAM from 1 gb to 2 gb. The installed memory sticks are 512 DDR2 SDRAM PC4200/4300 533 mhz.
Can I install 2 1024 MB PC6400 DDR2 800 Mhz EPP Memory? Or will this %&() up the system? The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800 2Ghz. and mainboard has a 4gb capacity.

Thanks

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

Yes you can, but it will need to run at PC4200 533 MHz. Just to be safe, I'd go into your systems BIOS and copy the RAM settings, that way if your new memory does not clock down automatically you can make the changes manually.

Posted 6 years ago

mpc104
mpc104

you could go to crucial.com,they can scan your pc tell you what ram you have and what you need.i got 2gb for $44

Posted 6 years ago

pcflash
pcflash

Question I have upgraded my CPU to 6g of ram, but Vista only recognized only 3g of ram. How can I get Vista to recognized all of my Ram?

Posted 6 years ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Are you running 32 or 64 bit Vista?

Posted 6 years ago

pcflash
pcflash

I am running 32 bit Home Premium

Posted 6 years ago

Budohorseman
Budohorseman

To get over 3 gigs you need a 64 bit operating system.

Posted 6 years ago

pcflash
pcflash

Posted 6 years ago

pcflash
pcflash

Thanks for the information!

Posted 6 years ago

whs
whs

As an alternative you could look into a VM setup and run other operating systems next to Vista - that is if you have a need or an urge for that type of configuration.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.