The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

(Solved) - RAM question????????????????

(5 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LEECAD
  • Latest reply from whs
  • Topic Viewed 334 times

LEECAD

When I have the computer on (HP Laptop 4GB of RAM), with Open Office and mail, I am using around 1.75GB to 1.90GB of RAM. With those programs and 1 CAD program running like I usually do, the RAM goes up to around 2.35 normally.

Earlier, I had a lot to do and had 4 or 5 CAD programs running so I wouldnt have to close any out and I could keep working faster. With all those programs the RAM went to 3.60GM of RAM, which is what I expected.
When I was done and closed all those programs out, the RAM went down to 0.99 to 1.05GB of RAM.

My question is why after closing all those programs, did the RAM go so low, when normally when I close out the 1 program, it goes to what it normally is. 1.75GB of RAM?

Thank You!!!

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

From where do you get those numbers. Watch the RAM behavior in Resource Monitor > Memory tab. That is the most reliable.

Post pictures of the colored bar before and after. Then we may try to figure out an answer to your question.

Posted 1 year ago

Xhi
Xhi

Probably because of programs loaded at startup and not used were in there initially and removed because they were idle when more active programs were added. Since they are inactive they were not placed back in memory once they were removed when others were terminated until they would become active again.

Posted 1 year ago

LEECAD

I get the RAM usage from Windows Task Manager. That is the only real way I know how to see what the RAM and computer usage is.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

As I said, look into the Resource Monitor > Memory tab. That gives you a much better picture.

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.