• Topic Viewed 2577 times

Dannydxl

Ok, i installed windows 7 on my computer:
Toshiba satelitte a300-034.
3GB RAM
intel centrino core 2 duo 2.0ghz
intel gma x3100
320GB HDD

It worked really fast, smooth and efficient until it slowed down a bit. i use a gadget on the sidebar to see my computer power usage. So i look at it one moment it says 38% ram used. A second later its hanging out around 90%. quite strange and i was struggling to open up firefox so i rebooted. as soon as the windows loads up my ram is still over 90% used. i restarted more then 3 times after that and still the same thing. I am pretty confident tht this maybe a hardware problem but not completely sure. i have had a hardware issue with my ram and its been replaced once before. from then my laptops has worked fine (about 3-4months) running on vista. im pretty sure this isnt a windows 7 problem as i noticed it on my vista a couple days before upgrading. you might even say it was one of the reasons why i upgraded.
As of right now my laptop is useless becuase it works much much slower then a old windows 95 pc.

Anyway all help would be greatly appreciated.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Dannydxl, hello. Launch Task Manager with Ctrl+Shift+Esc. On the Processes tab, sort by Memory used -- click on the heading of the Memory column. Can you see what the memory hog is there?

On the Performance tab, click on the "Resource Monitor" button. In Resource Monitor, click on the Memory tab. Here you can sort on other memory stats and see the physical memory graph. What are the values of Available, Cached, Total, Installed?

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

'Hi ScottW, i dont quite understand how to check the memory hog and i dont know what that is. but i went to resource monitor and under "Processes" there is something called "wmpnetwk.exe". According to what it says under the "Commit (kb)" column, this process is using 2,493,960 kb.
And for my memory stat values, here they are
Available : 167mb
Cached : 85 mb
Total : 3061
Installed : 3072
P.S these kept changing as i was looking from task manager and typing.

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

i right clicked the wmpnetwk and clicked end process tree . this fixes the problem for a little while then it comes back.
any idea on how to end it for good?

Posted 5 years ago

nerdygeek6

this might help alot :P Link (click here)

Posted 5 years ago

Dannydxl

GREAT! thanks for the link nerdygeek6. although i couldn't follow the guide because i use WMP 12 for windows 7.
But it told me where i had to end up so i googled how to do it on 7.
for future references, heres how i did it:
go to start, click on search, type in "services", click on "services", scroll down to "Windows Media Player Sharing Network" (or something that looks like that :P) and disable it from there.

anyways thanks for the help guys. really appreciate it.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Media streaming options can be accessed in WMP 12. In the Stream drop-down, select "More Streaming options..." This area can also be reached from Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change Advanced Sharing Settings -> Choose media streaming options.

The service has the same name as the one in Vista described in the article linked by nerdygeek6.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.