How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

RAM and Graphics upgrade

(4 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by ColinAirlie
  • Latest reply from ColinAirlie
  • Topic Viewed 1152 times

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Hello everyone, I have an HP Pavillion dv6820ea (it says this on the bottom, and says dv6000 on the top, not sure which one to go with...). It has 2GB of RAM and NVidia GeForce 8400M Graphics. I'm just wondering if it would be worthwhile upgrading the RAM and/or Graphics, and if so, what to go with. Not too rich either, so money is definetly an issue. Any help would be braw. Cheers, Col

Posted 5 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

ColinAirlie,

Laptop dv6000 series machine should work fine as is with either XP or Vista if configured properly.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW
ScottW

Colin, hello. According to the specs on your system, it's a laptop and you can upgrade the RAM to 4 GB:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr.....ct=3716834

The graphics in most laptops is integrated and cannot be upgraded. While you could upgrade the RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB, you would have to remove two 1GB memory modules and replace them with two 2GB modules. I don't think it would be worth it to upgrade just the memory. It's unlikely to provide a noticeable boost in performance.

I had to look up "braw". It was not in my go to list of British slang for Americans. Now I need a list of Scottish slang for Americans!

Posted 5 years ago

ColinAirlie
ColinAirlie

Haha, 'Braw', means very good! Thanks for the advice, it actually works fine for everything I want it to do, except maybe cook. (Nothing out there, no?). I was just wanting to do it so I could mock my flat-mate, but if there's no point I'll not bother. I've just started a job training as an IT Technician, and found this site when my girlfriend Googled 'Geek', to prove a point. Haha, who's laughing now? I'm always on here, much to her chagrin! Slainte Mhath! (Gaelic slang for Americans!?). Cheers Scott.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!