The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

(Solved) - RAM

(15 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by hArLtRoN
  • Latest reply from hArLtRoN
  • Topic Viewed 593 times

hArLtRoN

I already have 4GB of DDR2 RAM. My motherboard is an ASUS M4A785-M.

Would I be able to buy more RAM of a different vendor and speed? Or should I stay with the same speed?

This is the RAM I have now (I have it x2 for a total of 4GB)

Would I be able to add this RAM?

Thanks!

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

The best tool for memory matching is from crucial; http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

Mike

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

I did the scan with the Crucial Memory Matcher and it came up with this. I don't want to get 8GB of RAM, just 4GB. And I don't have that much money to spend.

Posted 2 years ago

oldgeezer

Just do a search on the site for the same item but in a 4Gb kit. You should find it's THIS ONE

Posted 2 years ago

LadyFitzgerald

Also, for best results, you should always use matched sets of RAM sticks. It's usually not a good idea to mix different brands, sizes, etc.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

I don't understand. You apparently already have 4GB of RAM - that's why you got the next level which is 8GB.

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

4GB to 4GB makes no sense here, thought you were upgrading to 8 GB.

Speed of ram is governed by the motherboard, so stick with what you have at the moment.

8GB ram operationally will make a considerable difference.

Stick a few bucks in the teapot to finance the upgrade later.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

There are four slots on that motherboard. If he has 2 x 2GB sticks he should be able to add 2 x 2GB sticks in the empty slots to get a total of 8GB. The max for the MB is 16GB. As long as both sticks match for each set it should be ok.

Posted 2 years ago

whs

For normal operation, I see no advantage of 8GB over 4GB. In my 8GB system, most of the RAM is always "free".

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

That would certainly depend on what one was running. But, back to the OP's question. My answer would be yes you an add those particular 2 sticks of 2GB memory to that configuration without problem.

Accepted Answer · Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

@whs and vistamike,
What I meant was that I didn't want to buy a 8GB of RAM (giving a total of 12GB of RAM), I just want to buy another 4GB so that I have a total of 8GB.

@whs,
Reason I want to upgrade to 8GB is because I'm going to be running a few virtual machines and I need more RAM.

@Xhi,
Would I have to worry about timings?

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

No

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

Thanks. I think that clears up the questions I have :)

Posted 2 years ago

whs

For Virtual Machines, it makes sense to have more RAM. Although I run Virtual Box with Windows 7 and Ubuntu on a 4GB system without any problems. But I run only one virtual machine at a time together with the host Win7.

Posted 2 years ago

hArLtRoN

I generally have a few programs running ALL the time. So when I'm running the virtual machine, its kinda laggy (running Ubuntu Studio x86)

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.