How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Raise lid... laptop on.

(22 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by Niks
  • Latest reply from Niks
  • Topic Viewed 6286 times

Niks
Niks

guys, is it possible to resume my laptop from hibernation or to turn it on by just opening its lid?? I use an HCL Q21 laptop with windows 7. my friend is using a sony-vaio laptop and he resumes his laptop by raising his lid only... how can i do the same in my laptop?? help me out....

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

??

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

All I can say, is I have hibernation, and sleep completely disabled. But if I close the lid, then open it again later, the desktop comes up as normal :(

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

:((

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

This and other related settings are customizable under Power Configuration, which you'll find as an applet in Control Panel. Hope you'd figure out the rest.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

I tried my best to find it out in control panel. There was an option to hibernate the laptp by closing the lid, bt no option to resume it by opening the lid. I have to press power button. Isnt there any way?

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Sorry for being so concise. Yes, you've found the correct option set. The only setting available is for closing the lid, not for opening it. What opening of the lid would do is determined automatically by Windows based on the option you've selected for closing it. In this case, since you chose hibernation to start on closing the lid, the corresponding action for opening the lid would be resumption from hibernation. This is not actually happening in your case. This probably means either your hardware doesn't support that function or it's not enabled in your system board setup.

If you feel comfortable with it, try checking the power Configuration options in your system board setup. If no go, probably you're out of luck. But that's just my opinion.

Thanks for reading. Good luck.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

well i think i dont support this if its true... well thanx for the heads up.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

It is true what algotechie is telling you.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

isnt there any software for this? or this is totally hardware based???

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

In simple terms, it actually goes like this. When you close the lid, the hardware sends a signal to the OS. The OS interprets it and acts according to the option you've given. When the lid is opened again, the hardware sends another signal (different from the one sent when the lid is closed). The OS on intercepting this signal then performs the corresponding action. So it's actually a combination of both hardware and software that makes this possible.

In your case, closing the lid probably doesn't send the signal to the OS. You need to send that via some other button like the power button. (Notice that the other options, sans hibernation, that you set for closing the lid are also not being reversed on opening the lid.)

Any software that can set such options has to intercept the signal of opening the lid from the OS. So if the hardware doesn't have the capability, the software cannot do it, either. Hope you got the point.

Posted 4 years ago

algotechie
algotechie

Sorry there's a mistake in the above comment. I meant, opening the lid does not send the signal in your case.

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

ya... i got it.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

So either your switch is broken, your laptop doesn't have a switch, or the settings for "Choose what closing the lid does", isn't working.

Posted 4 years ago

ProstheticHead
ProstheticHead

But surely the switch is ok since the laptop goes into hibernation on closing the lid in the first place, right? Maybe your BIOS will have options for this switch.

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

We don't seem to know what is happening when he closes the lid. He hasn't yet said what he has to do to get the system back when he opens it !

Posted 4 years ago

Niks
Niks

@LH, neither my switch is broken nor my "Choose what closing the lid does" is out of order. Actually m asking for "opening the lid" not closing.

Posted 4 years ago

madmacs
madmacs

Niks, on a latop the normal settings (after closing the lid) are to put it in sleep, after which you can open it and will have to either press a key or move your mouse (cordless press a button and move.) Matt

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Mine has 3 options. Do nothing, Sleep, and Shutdown.

Posted 4 years ago

JimGTG

There is no option for telling the OS what to do when opening the lid.

Besides, the whole purpose of the possibility to put your laptop to sleep when closing the lid, is to be able to move on or take it with you while the OS is preparing for hibernation. Depending on what your OS has to write to your HD, this can take up to 5-10 minutes (at least in my case). So instead of waiting the whole time b4 you can pick up your notebook and take it with you, you now close the lid and you're done.

When you open your lid you just have to touch a power switch and wait 'till your OS is fully loaded. You'll loose time anyway and you would loose exactly the same amount of time if your OS would wake up from sleep by just opening the lid.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!