The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

QuickSilver for Windows and KDE

(6 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by bcell
  • Latest reply from taybay
  • Topic Viewed 3703 times

bcell

There are a number of programs out there that attempt to mimic QuickSilver for Windows and, at least, 1 for KDE (Katapult). Unfortunately, none of them quite live up to the standards that QuickSilver has set. It would be great to finally get something good for both of these platforms.

It would be really nice if the programs could directly access the indexes OS indexes, i.e. Vista index and Beagle index.

Posted 6 years ago

thedudester

That would be awesome! I've used all the different ones out there, but none of them are that great, and some of them just aren't free or are very limited.

I think it would be a good idea to make a list of the features exactly that we want.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

does quicksilver let you launch any command easily? like if I type cmd into a lot of the clone replacements, they just look at me funny... very annoying

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

I use launchy and it's good to me. http://www.launchy.net/

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I used launchy for quite a while... it's a decent application. I'm using Find and Run Robot now, but it has some things that irritate me as well.

The thing that irritates me the most about all the launchers is that I know "regedit" would work at the command prompt, but the launcher just does nothing. I'd prefer the launcher send the command over to windows to execute if it can't find anything that matches.

Posted 6 years ago

taybay
taybay

That bothers me as well, but I just use Win + R to launch the run box and go from there.

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!