How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Quicklaunch bar

(12 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by germ-x
  • Latest reply from ispalten
  • Topic Viewed 979 times

germ-x
germ-x

Need some ideas. I enabled the quick launch bar /icons in Win 7 on 3 different computers. When I moved the QLB from the right side to the left side the icons on the my Dell inspiron stopped between the 2 dotted bars and hid from the main taskbar. All I see is the double chevron arrows the same as when the QLB was on the right side. This works great but when I attempted to move the QLB / icons on an HP & Gigabyte the icons just spread out on the taskbar like XP & Vista. I can not duplicate the placement like the Dell. The Dell & HP were upgrade installs from Vista and the gigabyte is a fresh complete install. Attached links showing pics of Dell if you have a Photobucket account. Would like to make the other systems the same as the Dell since it looks neater, less space.
http://s801.photobucket.com/al.....ageditmany
http://s801.photobucket.com/al.....ageditmany

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Could you post some links that work please.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Sorry about that LH. I just registered on this site about 1wk ago and was reading someones post, they said they posted pics on photobucket so I registered there. Maybe I first need some help in how to show a pic & the best site to use. Try this link, there are 2 pics.

http://s801.photobucket.com/al.....8;newest=1

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

No worries. In PB, click on the IMG Code, and post that. (for each image you want to show)

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

try the link above. I copied & pasted several times and it shows the 2 pics. I will log back in PB & try that IMG code you mentioned. thanks

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

That 'double dotted line' I think is a barrier that limits the size of the QLB. RMB on the task bar and UNLOCK it. Then re-size the QLB and then RMB and lock it again. That should fix it, but it is hard to tell without all pictures?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

thanks Irv S.
I know the double dotted lines are what you drag the QLB icons over with but hopefully if you saw the pics all icons are hidden until I click on the chevron arrow. The 2nd pic shows the QLB icons opened. They don't stay on my taskbas as in XP or Vista. On the other computers they are stationed on the taskbar. If I continue to drag the dotted bar it then turns into a up / dn arrow and when I click on the little up arrow button it will show 2 QL icons. When I click on the little dn arrow it will again show just 2 QL icons. Hope this is a little more understandable.

T.S.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

How did you enable the QLB?

Are all version of the OS the same and same bit versions?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Irv,
I installed all 3 the exact same way. All are windows 7 32bit. 2 of the systems ( HP & Dell) were upgrades from Vista 32bit. My desktop is a clean install & has the funky QLB as well as the HP. The Dell has the QLB icons hidden as in the picture.
rt click on taskbar> toolbar>new toolbar then pasted this script in the folder
%SystemDrive%\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\.
I can lock the toolbar but that only hides the dotted bars. The icons still show on the taskbar.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

It could be a video bug?

W7 also has some taskbar problems it seems. I've had SYSTRAY icons do some strange things, and I can't keep the settings for those icons... all prior versions of windows had problems here, and for now, I think W7 is the worst, I can't control most icon to stay visible.

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

Irv, I have no problem controlling the icons other then the placement of the QLB with the icons spread out on the taskbar or hidden ( preferred). Guess I could put all icons in a folder but that's a little redundant.

Posted 4 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

You could always use a JUMP LIST on the QLB too...

I've been searching the web and found some links...

MS's SUGGESTED WAY to enable the bar, which it appears you have done (I have no recollection of what I did to enable it though?)>

THIS LINK is interesting as down at the bottom it states on 32 bit versions that there is a UAC problem on the QLB, although not your problem?

Irv S.

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.