How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Quick question

(7 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by smithy1294
  • Latest reply from XxChungxX
  • Topic Viewed 341 times

smithy1294

Hey, i was just wondering if any of you guys have any ideas,
what my problem is is that i have a old Compaq laptop featuring the worst processor i have ever used (AMD Sempron SI-42) an it currently has windows 7 on it yet runs very slow with videos constantly buffering, i dont think its worth spending any money on because its so ancient, just wondering if i should put xp on it or wouldnt this help? seriously guys any ideas at all would be appreciated :)

Posted 1 year ago

Lighthouse
Lighthouse

Buffering is down to internet speed.

Posted 1 year ago

smithy1294

No.. when im on fibre optic getting 30mb/s its not internet speed...but its not just that its just lagging so much

Posted 1 year ago

ispalten
ispalten

Speed of your connection and speed you actually get are two different things. Lag doesn't related to buffering usually either. It could be the site you are using, and if it is under heavy load what you see is 'normal'. I have 40Mbps service, and even YOU TUBE will buffer, you can usually see the pointer where the video is slightly behind the gray bar showing how much is down, and on occasion it WILL stop playing for me.

First thing you should do is verify the d/l link, your ISP probably has a site to do this, but 'generic' ones, like SPEEDTEST are also good to check. Your ISP only guarantees the rated d/l speed on THEIR network, and once off of it, you are at the mercy of the Internet.

Irv S.

Posted 1 year ago

ReadandShare

About the OS... yes, your Compaq should run faster on XP than on 7. Recall the netbook fad 2-3 years ago with Intel 'Atom' chips... MS -- which had already been pushing Win 7 -- "rushed out" a bunch of XP's to netbook makers, to counter a potential mass defect to Linux.

Posted 1 year ago

whs
whs

XP won't help. It will be just as slow. Maybe Linux is a better option.

Posted 1 year ago

XxChungxX
XxChungxX

yeah linux would be better

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!