How-To Geek Forums / Windows 7

Quick Launch creates new Desktop Folder

(11 posts)
  • Started 4 years ago by trekfrk
  • Latest reply from germ-x
  • Topic Viewed 817 times

trekfrk
trekfrk

Has anyone noticed when adding the Quick Launch bar to Windows 7 that it creates a new Quick Launch Desktop Folder. If you remove it, all your pinned programs in the Start Menu will not function. The only solution I have found so far is to move it to another location so it is not on the desktop.
Thanks for your thoughts

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

Hi trekfrk. How about hiding it ?

Posted 4 years ago

trekfrk
trekfrk

I have my system set to show hidden files(so I also have to live with 2 Desktop.ini files on my desktop):(
Have you experienced this problem also?

Posted 4 years ago

LH
LH

No. I don't use W7. Was just offering a solution.

Posted 4 years ago

clcamp0331
clcamp0331

I have windows 7 upgrade from win vista and when I enabled the quick launch in windows 7 I did not get this problem even with hidden files checked. I know this is not much help, but maybe you should check the difference between having hidden files and folders checked and then unchecked to see if there is a difference in this folder on your desktop showing up. Willing to try to help solve your delima.

Chris

Posted 4 years ago

mountainman

My Q L is in the Task bar like W-XP. I used this link to get it there.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto.....windows-7/

Is this what you are having problems with?

Posted 4 years ago

trekfrk
trekfrk

Chris,
Did you check SHOW hidden files? This is what I did that causes the problem. It disappears when checking DONT show hidden files. Can you duplicate this?
Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

trekfrk
trekfrk

Mountainman,
My Q L is in the taskbar too. I am referring to a Q L file folder on the desktop.
Thanks

Posted 4 years ago

clcamp0331
clcamp0331

Trekfrk,

I have enabled and disabled show hidden files and folders and either way there is no quick launch folder on my desktop in windows 7. Probably some hidden registry file or msconfig is messed up in your system but I am not sure how to handle that at this point if you have any suggestions I will gladly try them out to help.

Chris

Posted 4 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

I just drag short cuts to programs I use down to the Task Bar and they act just as they did in XP.
---
Maybe I'm not getting the point here? but my Orb is also shown as a Start Button.
---
NO hidden registry setting needed to duplicate the old QL setup which is handy and I like. :)
---
Regards,
Rick P.

Posted 4 years ago

germ-x
germ-x

hi trekfrk, the 2 .ini files on your desktop are there in Vista & Win 7. The only way you can eliminate them is to hide them. A QL folder is not normal. I have 4 systems on Win7 ( 3 upgrades from Vista) and have setup the QL on all and each one is a little different. My Dell has the QL on the left side with the double arrows and a drop window. The others I left the QL on the right side as it was becoming a pain to move to the left side. But no folders on any of them. When you installed your QL where did you put the folder? If you put it on your desktop then that is why it is there. I have mine in users> app data> roaming> microsoft> internet explorer. Hope this helps

Posted 4 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Get Free Articles in Your Inbox!

Join 134,000 newsletter readers

Email:

Go check your email!