The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Build Your Own PC

Question for Rick re: Marvell SATA Ports

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by LadyFitzgerald
  • Latest reply from raphoenix
  • Topic Viewed 988 times

LadyFitzgerald

I've got my computer partially built and the OS installed and running (still tweaking, loading drivers, and updating). The board I'm using is an ASUS P9X79 WS (neede the additional PCIe lanes). I have an internal HHD installed on SATA6G_E1 (one of the two Marvell ports). When I look in Computer and Disk Management, I see the drive (E:/) just fine and it seems to be working just fine (I can make new folders and move files and folders on and off it without any trouble). However, it also shows up on the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media menu as though it's a USB drive. Is that supposed to be happening?

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

I have the same thing happening.
I've let it slide since it's a minor annoyance but since we're on that topic... And please don't ask me to start a new thread - it's the SAME ISSUE.
With non-Marvel ports this is resolved by installing the Intel Rapid Storage driver (or Intel management-something-something) OR by disabling 'Hot Swap' feature in the BIOS but for Marvel ones I'm clueless since the drivers does not affect this controller and 'Hot Swap' is not available / not listed for this Marvel controller.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

YES will show up in (Safely Remove Hardware) as a SCSI Device.

That's because Bios interprets the Marvell Chip as a Mass Storage Controller Device.

No Worry, just ensure you have the Latest Bios and ALL the Latest MB Drivers installed.

Good Choice for a Build. :) :)

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79_WS/#support

Rick P.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

And can it be 'hidden' in the 'Safely Remove Hardware' ?

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

I've also noticed that hot swap isn't available with the Marvell ports but, since I won't be using the drive on the Marvell port (I'm reserving the other Marvell port for possible future caching with a SSD) for hot swapping, I'm not concerned abouit that. I wouldn't be overly concerned about drives on the Marvell ports showing up on the Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media menu as long it's normal (whether it is or not was what I was asking) other than I'm afraid I'll have a Senior Moment (I get a lot of those; where were we?) and eject it. And if I do, I have no idea if I would be able to get it back.

Edit due to crossposts (I'm also getting slow in my dotage): Hiding it would be nice.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It Is Normal.

If you click on it, it will hide a NON Raid Drive on the Intel Chipset.

Just RE-Boot the machine to see ALL the drives again.

The Marvell controller is suppose to be used in a Raid Array 1 or 0 Configuration.

Remember it shares an interrupt with a PCIe slot.

There may be some entry in the Registry you can make to get it off the Eject Media menu but I never worried about it as you can't harm anything.

I personally tried all my answers out. (LOL)

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

LOL! Thanks. Btw, you would happen to know which PCIe slot it shares with? Might be a good idea to avoid it.

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

It's a PCIe 1 slot which is Closest to the Primary PCIe 16 slot for Video. Normal Video Card Double Size Width makes the slot un-usable anyway.

There is a diagram for all the shared interrupts in the Manual.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

We're talking about different boards (I have the P9X79 WS). Mine doesn't have any PCIe x1 slots. I've studied at the Standard Interupt assignments chart many times but all i could get from it was a headache (same for the IRQ assignments chart).

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

My Bad, I'll download the Manual and have a look see.

Posted 1 year ago

afuhnk
afuhnk

Thanks for clearing that up!

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

No worries, Rick. And thanks!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, the Marvell 9128 Controller Shares the same IRQ A with ALL the PCIe slots so is no problem.
Page 2-8 in Manual.

I don't think that P9X79 WS MB or CPU is slated for change until Third Quarter of 2013 so is a Good Build for Sure !!!!

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

Thanks and Thanks, Rick!

Ok, I might be making a little sense of all this. If I'm reading the chart correctly, the Marvel chip, in addition to all the PCIe x16 slots, is also sharing with one of the USB 3.0 chips (not a worry since I'm reserving lanes anyway for a possible USB 3.0 card in the future, assuming I will even need it)?

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Ya, IRQ A is also shared with Asmedia USB3.0-1 chip.

Posted 1 year ago

LadyFitzgerald

WOW! I learned something! cool! Thanks again!

Posted 1 year ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Click Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Information to display the system resource information. It's all there but not many folks use it to check issues on their systems. :)

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!