The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Linux

Question about Linux mount points.

(5 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by tech27
  • Latest reply from scorpion99
  • Topic Viewed 960 times

tech27

I'am using Zorin Core 6 on that installation. I just want to know what does other mount points function as. Because I only knew that '/' the root means where all system files are installed, its like the C Drive in Windows(Am I correct?) and the '/swap' that function as virtual memory which will be use when hibernating? Then how do I make two 'like partitions' on Linux(Ubuntu,Zorin) like C and D drive on windows during installation. I really want to understand those things specially those 'mount points' because during installation I only do the 'full installation' I wanna know how to do the manual installation/partitioning on Linux os.

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99

General locations are, well, everything else which might be placed on a separate medium...

/home contains the home directories of all the local users

/boot contains the static boot-related files, not actually necessary once the system is booted (for instance, it includes the bootloader configuration and kernel image)

/media contains the mount points for the various detachable storage (like USB disks, DVDs, ...)

/mnt is a location for temporarily mounted media (read: not worth the trouble of defining them in fstab)

/opt contains add-on packages and is usually used to install applications into which are not provided by your package manager natively (as those should reside in /usr) or build specific to the local system (/usr/local).

/tmp contains temporary files for the system tools. The location can be cleansed at boot up.

/var contains data that changes in size, such as log files, caches, etc.
for more infos , check this link :
http://swift.siphos.be/linux_sea/ch05.html

Posted 2 years ago

vistamike

tom's hardware

Posted 2 years ago

tech27

@scorpion99

So the '/' and 'swap' are the necessary one's?

Posted 2 years ago

scorpion99

yesssss

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.