The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Geek Stuff

(Solved) - Question about DVI connection

(7 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by Bartman
  • Latest reply from Bartman
  • Topic Viewed 835 times

Bartman

My computer, HP a6110n, only has a VGA connection. My moniter HP w1907 has input for VGA and DVI.
What I'm thinking about doing is replacing the video card with this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/.....6814121259
The question is, would using DVI improve playback quality of videos and be worth the investment in a
new card? Or possibly an even better card? Also, I want to avoid replacing the 250w PSU.

Operating system installed
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Processor
AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4400+ for TRUE multi-tasking
• 2.3GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache, 2000MT/s System Bus

Chipset
NVIDIA nForce 430

Standard memory
2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM memory (2x1024MB for ultimate performance)(expandable to 4GB)

Memory type
DDR2-SDRAM

Memory slots
4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR2) (two available)

Internal drives
Internal hard disk drive
320GB

Hard disk controller
SATA 3G Hard Disk Drive

Hard disk drive speed
(7200 rpm)

Optical drive type
SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology

Optical drive speed
16x DVD±R, 8x DVD+RW, DVD+RW, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R DL, 8x DVD-R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 16x DVD-ROM, DVD-ROM, 40x CDR, 32x CDRW, 40x CD-ROM ROM

System features
Memory card device
15in1 memory card reader

Modem
56k modem

Network interface
Ethernet 10/100/1000BT integrated network interface

Video adapter
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE Graphics with TurboCache with 128MB dedicated graphics memory. Up to 632MB Total Available Graphics Memory as allocated by Windows Vista®

Video RAM
128MB

Internal audio
High Definition Audio, 8 speaker configurable

Keyboard
HP multimedia keyboard

External drive bays
2 external 5.25"(one available), 1 external 3.5" (occupied)

External I/O ports
6 USB 2.0 port(s), 2 FireWire (IEEE 1394) port(s), Microphone/Line-in/Line-out, 2 PS/2; Digital Audio-out; LAN; Rear speaker-out/Side speaker-out/Center (subwoofer); (subwoofer); VGA-out;

Expansion slots
2 PCI slots (1 available), 1 PCI-E x16 slot (available), 1 PCI-E x1 slot (available)

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Bartman, if the only reason to replace the graphics card is the monitor, I don't think it is worth it. I have the exact same monitor (HP w2207) on 2 different systems. One with a VGA attachment and the other one with a DVI attachment. To tell you the truth, I cannot make out any difference. I had also hoped that there would be a difference (although the display quality of the monitor is excellent in both cases), but that was not the case.

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman

OK. That's good to know. I would hate to spend the money ( even $20 ) if it won't make an appreciable
difference. As you said, the display quality of the monitor IS excellent. Text looks fine, but DVD
movies are grainy compared to my HDTV. Just thought DVI might help with that. But I will trust your judgement on this since you do have the same monitor.

Thanks, Bart

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Your DVD movies may be grainy because they come in a Codec unsuitable for the system. I would ask ScottW - he knows this stuff. But I have to tell you that I have never played DVDs. So on that part, I cannot really make a judgment. Maybe someone who has done that should voice an opinion.

Posted 5 years ago

ScottW

Bart, your LCD display is better for static images then for moving ones. Also, consider that DVD movies are stored at 720x480 resolution (NTSC) so to be displayed on your monitor at 1440x900 (native), the individual pixels have to be quadrupled in size. This increases the blockiness of the image.

Your HDTV, even if it is also an LCD, will use edge-softening to reduce the blockiness of the image. Analog displays, such as CRTs, have a natural image softening effect that most people find pleasing. Your living room HDTV would probably not produce text that is as sharp as the computer monitor. These monitors have different purposes and, by default, are adjusted to suit the primary use.

Posted 5 years ago

whs

Amazing ScottW. I knew you would have an explanation, but how did you learn all this stuff. I better get on the ball because else I will die dumb - lol.

Posted 5 years ago

Bartman

That's what I suspected and I'm glad we have someone like you who is knowledgeable in this area.
Thanks to you and again to whs. You both prevented me from spending money unnecessarily.

Posted 5 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.