The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Qualcomm atheros driver for Windows 8

(13 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by windows8-user
  • Latest reply from vistamike
  • Topic Viewed 27513 times

windows8-user

Hi, I just upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7 on a Hewlett Packard Pavillion all in one desktop PC. I acnnot connect to the Internet via my wireless network

The device manager says that the Qualcomm atheros driver (AR5007EG) is broken. I have tried to find a driver from Qualcomm but can't. I have run the compatibility wizard and it says it is compatible with Windows 8. I have also run the troubleshooter which tells me this is the problem.

Can anyone help me find the driver so I can get back on line please ??. I also clicked "update driver" which told me I had the driver that was up to date !!

Posted 2 years ago

ronniesonora

Try downloading and installing this driver. Dated Oct. 18, 2012 http://drivers.softpedia.com/g.....ws-8.shtml

Posted 2 years ago

windows8-user

Thank you I have tried this, when I copy the file to a USB, and insert it into Windows 8, Win 8 tells me that I am attempting to open a system file and that could damage my system and then asks what app would I like to use to open the file !. I can get no further than this !

Posted 2 years ago

Lighthouse

What is the filetype ?

Posted 2 years ago

Kbednarick

Has there been any resolution to this problem? I JUST installed windows 8 on my HP all in one and I'm having the exact same problem. Does anyone know for a fact that the Qualcomm windows 8 driver provided in the link above will work when the original AR5007EG adapter in this computer? I can't find a corresponding windows 8 driver for the AR5007EG adapter either. I'm going to try thedriver above, but WOULD SO GREATLY APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK OR HELP!

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix

Did you Clean Install with the Windows 8 ISO or just try to upgrade an existing installation of an o/s ????

A Clean Install is ALWAYS preferable with Windows 8 as it has many of its own drivers for well know devices because it's new.

However there are devices on older Mother Boards for which there is no driver support when running Windows 8.

The Advisor warns the user ahead of time to be cautious and have their "ducks lined up" before installation.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

gedstar

You could try downloading the driver for Windows 7 and run in computability mode!

Posted 2 years ago

Kbednarick

I did not do a clean install, did an upgrade. Didn't expect a problem here because it was not flagged. I addressed the items that were flagged in the compatibility test prior to installation. Everything other than my wireless adapter appears to be working well. I will try the driver provided in the link above. if no luck, then I will try downloading the windows 7 driver again, maybe it's corrupted... and I can try it in compatibility (?) or safe mode.

Posted 2 years ago

Xhi

You could try the download from here http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-.....8;system=6

Posted 2 years ago

Kbednarick

No luck. Went out and bought a USB wifi adapter. Simple but stupid and unnecessary solution.

Posted 2 years ago

sgillen

I had the same problem. No matter what I did, it would not work. I downloaded drivers, from many sites and it either crashed or stayed broken. When I did the windows 8 advisor it said it would have problems. I went to best buy and bought a usb medialink wireless adapter and
at least now I am connected. I know it is not a solution, but I tried all the re install and nothing worked.

Posted 2 years ago

hoekstrw

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM
FOUND sp59156 ON ANOTHER FORUM BUT this did NOT WORK EITHER
Any new possibilities???

Posted 1 year ago

vistamike

hoekstrw, hi, please ask as a new question with your specific problem in a new topic

Mike

Posted 1 year ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.