The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows Vista

QTTabBar

(11 posts)
  • Started 6 years ago by wbouvy
  • Latest reply from jd2066
  • Topic Viewed 7680 times

wbouvy

I've been using QTTabBar for a few versions now, with only one problem. Since Mr Geek posted about it, I figured you might be able to help.
The problem is the QT Tab Desktop Tool (right click your start bar, toolbars, it should be in that list). Whenever I activate it I get a 'Extension CLSID Verification Host'. Now, I don't know what the desktop tool actually does, so I don't really miss it, and I assume it's a Vista issue, since the QTTabBar is mainly made for XP. But if anyone can get it to work, it might be some setting on my pc.

Posted 6 years ago

Scott
Scott

Confirmed

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: verclsid.exe
Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
Application Timestamp: 4549b0f0
Fault Module Name: mscorwks.dll
Fault Module Version: 2.0.50727.312
Fault Module Timestamp: 45372457
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000ab0be
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

Same problem here... I'll take a look at it later.

Posted 6 years ago

supermansghost
supermansghost

Same problem... has anybody tried this in XP?

Posted 6 years ago

thegeek
The Geek

I just did... here's what's going on:

The QT Tab Desktop tool works in XP, and gives you the hover popup preview crap on the desktop.

If you are using QT Tabbar, you'll notice when you hover your mouse over folders that a little arrow appears which has a popup menu.

So that's what doesn't work in Vista, although I'd never enable that anyway.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

@The Geek:
It appears it's not just the popup preview as I don't have any tabs in explorer either.
I think I'll email the author of the program about it.

Edit:
I just figured out that I needed the classic menus on for it to work.
I found this program from this thread so I had missed the how to page.

Posted 6 years ago

wbouvy

So we're not really missing anything with the desktop tool. Good enough for me.

And jd2066, you don't have to keep classic menus enabled for the tab bar to work, there's an option to hide the menubar under Misc in options.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I noticed that option too. Also found the ALT+M shortcut to hide/show the menu bar if needed.

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

I just figured out a way to get the QT Tab Desktop Tool to work.
If one renames the verclsid.exe file then this tool works just fine.
Also besides the desktop previews (which I think are nifty) this toolbar displays the saved groups, closed tabs and applications when double clicking on the button in the toolbar.
Justin

Posted 6 years ago

sjac

I have recently been getting a few errors in the .NET framework for QTTab bar, and i'm not too sure what is going on, all i know is that it is related to the picture previews you get when hovering the mouse over a picture file. Anyone know what this is about? I know that killing explorer and restarting it works, but then it crashes again.
Also, jd2066, what do we rename it to? And am I talking about the same thing? (Sometimes even I wonder what i am talking about....)

Posted 6 years ago

jd2066
jd2066

One would just rename verclsid.exe to something like verclsid.exe.bak but that only helps you can't load an extension because of crashes in the "Extension Verification" program verclsid.exe.
For .NET errors I don't really know what to say.
I did get a .NET error once when loading the QT Tabbar options but none since then.
What are you doing when you get the .NET error?
If it's only when you hover over an image file, the image tooltips can be disabled in QTTabbar options.
Justin

Posted 6 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!