SEARCH

The How-To Geek Forums Have Migrated to Discourse

How-To Geek Forums / Windows 8

Purchasing a PC laptop now and Windows 8 question.

(12 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by cosrocket
  • Latest reply from warlock
  • Topic Viewed 1295 times

cosrocket

Microsoft has an upgrade offer where if you purchase a PC now for $14.99 you will be entitled to a Windows 8 Pro upgrade. My question is, if I purchased a laptop now and then installed Windows 8, will it have all of the trackpad gestures that a laptop which ships with Window 8 have? Is it all built into the software or will there have to be hardware upgrades to the trackpad with Windows 8 PC's to fully take advantage of them?

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

http://www.pcworld.com/busines.....ew_pc.html Read this article.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

From what I've read (HERE FOR INSTANCE, page 2 of a 3 page article) you will need new h/w to use all features, and specifically what you asked about...

From it :
=======================
The Samsung Series 9 notebook on which I tested this release doesn’t have a touch screen. It does, however, incorporate a new trackpad design. In combination with some admittedly early (and buggy) drivers, the new hardware design recognizes the swipe gestures that work on a touchscreen—swipe in from the right to expose the Charms menu, swipe from the left to switch between running apps, use multi-touch gestures to scroll up down, and side to side. The new gestures can’t be retrofitted to existing trackpads, unfortunately, because those existing devices don’t have subtle enough edge detection.
=======================

Now that said, it could be fixed by the h/w vendor with some s/w or flash downloads. I'd try to 'ask' the vendor for a definitive answer before ordering.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

cosrocket,

I would wait until the manufacturers start releasing new introduction machines advertised as completely compatible with up coming Windows 8 O/S and all new features.

The new machines are NOT in the supply chain yet but they should be in the coming months before
the "back to school" market begins.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

I agree with Rick. If that is what happens. But will they be introducing new completely compatible machines or just wait and sell their nos. upgrade elligible machines. Then, sell Windows 8 machines.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Warlock,

This is where New Machine Buyers and Builders MUST Be Acutely Aware of new hardware so as not to be taken advantage of.

Folks can always post there Proposed New OEM Purchases and Builds here on HTG so we can give'um a hand BEFORE they make BIG Mistakes.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

ispalten
ispalten

I think the biggest changes will be for desktop systems. Many will be packaged with touch screens I imagine to take full advantage of W8's operation mode. Of course one could always buy a Touch Screen too and replace the old display after upgrading. Laptops may or may not have the needed h/w anyway with W8 installed. It all depends on how easy using a mouse if you'd want that feature or not?

After using the W8 CP, I felt it was so awkward using the mouse to do anything I hardly used it. Now with W8 RP, well, it is much better and my mouse wheel seems to do the window scrolling horizontally now, but this could be something I never tried/noticed in the CP. Still, one has to get used to the various changes in operation, with or without a touch interface, like no close of Metro apps.

Irv S.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

That I guess is my point. The OEM purchasesers such as the OP will get an upgrade for $14.99 but, not all the features of W8. It will adapt to the hardware that you have. Will there be made completely compatible machines with W7 still in it that will work with all the W8 features.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

Remember I've been saying June 6th is the "Magic" date.

This is Why.
http://phys.org/news/2012-06-w.....aiwan.html

Microsoft and Intel are "Hand in Glove" together to make increased revenue for this year.

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Well Rick, change is inevitable. If I did not absolutley need a new machine now (not a builder yet) I would just wait for the OEM W8 machines to come out if I really wanted that edition. As we discussed in an earlier thread W7 will be around for a long time. I like what I have now but, others here do more testing and such so they need to be more up on the latest systems. I don't have a SSD yet that will be next for me.

Posted 2 years ago

raphoenix
raphoenix

@Warlock,

Looking at your Profile, you will never be satisfied with another OEM Pre-built machine again. :) ;) (LOL)

You have too much knowledge to be caught up by OEM "Tricks and Traps". :) :)

Rick P.

Posted 2 years ago

warlock
warlock

Rick, just no time, money, and not able to retire like others here. When I am able to be sure you will be asked more questions than others here on a build. LOL

Posted 2 years ago

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.

Enter Your Email Here to Get Access for Free:

Go check your email!